What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Save for Web

puppychew

Power User
Hi
When saving images to my website I have always used "Save to Web" . Then PS moved it and I assumed they were planning on doing away with this feature so what I just reduced images on my own.

I would have some large 5000 plus pixels wide images and I would go into Image - Image size - Reduce to a width of 1024 px - Resample bicubic sharper - reduction.
I would then save as jpeg at a size of about 250k.

My questions is, do you think what I am doing is the best way to save an image to a website or are there any benefits to using the "Save for Web (Legacy)"?
I would really like to get the best quality I can.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When saving images to my website I have always used "Save to Web" . Then PS moved it and I assumed they were planning on doing away with this feature
Even though it's moved, Ps still has this feature and I don't think it will ever be removed. If it has worked for you in the past, there should be no reason to stop using it. However, if what you are doing now is also working and providing you with the same quality or better than "save for web" does, then that will work also.

How do the two compare in a side by side comparison?

puppychew

Power User
I really cannot tell the difference but I wasn't sure if there was a correct way to do this.

thebestcpu

Guru
I don't think you will see a difference between the two methods if you are compressing to about the same final image size.

That given, I still use Save for Web as for me its one stop shopping with checkboxes to convert to sRGB and embed the profile (yes to both), I can resize with a choice of sampling options (including the one you choose), various levels of quality compression, an option to compress to a particular file size, choice of file format besides JEPG, options for web specific needs such as prgressive and/or optimized (I doubt you need either), as well as side by side previews of the image at whatever magnification you prefer.

Yet you particularly mention with the best quality. Given your focus on small file size I assume you know you are trading off quality for the small file size with higher JPEG compression. If you want higher quality, you use a higher quality compression level and accept a larger file size that results for JPEG. If you want no compression degradation, then you use PNG file format (which will likely be quite a bit larger).

Either way I use Save For Web.

Just my experience of course for your consideration on whats best for you.
John Wheeler