What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scale to Fit Media Print Option

brook

When I check "Scale to Fit Media" in my print options what exactly is going on? Does it get resampled? Does the resolution change? And what is the difference between using this option and setting my document size in the "Image Size" dialog box?

wbiss

Guru
Welcome aboard brook! [excited]

[stuned] Good question! I'm 'assuming' yes, when you check the "scale to fit media" option, your artwork is going to be resized and I, believe,
resampled too. [confused] I'm not 100% sure 'cause I haven't conducted any tests to experiment with this, but it tends to make sense. [innocent] Otherwise, what would the purpose of the 'image dialogue' box serve? I would suggest that you try experimenting with the output results, yourself. I would, but I'm not hooked up to a printer right now! ;)

If you use the "image dialogue box" you can change the print size by, unchecking the resampling box, and therefore, the quality of the output. IOW, an 8"x10" 72 ppi image, reduced to 4"x5" will increase your quality to 144 ppi...in most cases, suitable for print.

If anyone else with some real experience or knowledge in this area, knows otherwise, you'll soon hear from them. :)

sfm

Guru
much of my work is for brochures and business cards........ although I get the dimentions to work with when it comes time to printing they often have to use the selection of "scale to fit media" at the printers (this is lazer printing for one off's proofing) ......... I don't have a need for any of this myself but these people are in the printing business and it is what they use so who am I to argue he he he
you just need to make sure which ever way you are doing it that you are scaling down not up or it will be very pixelated........ if it changes the dpi I didn't see that change but I wouldn't have thought so :{ sorry Wendy he he he
I know the "printer man" and his mac is very cool but he allows me to watch how it is all done from my psd file to spitting it out at the other end he he he
sfm

Shaun

I use the option to print out large pictures on smaller sheets. My digital camera produces pix about 14" wide at 72dpi - which wont fit on 8x11 paper, so I usually scale them down to about 45% to fit nicely with a decent border of white paper.
As for resampling and quality, I haven't experimented to find out, but I'll spend some time playing with the idea later.

brook

Hey thanks for the replies. Since my posting I learned that resampling and resolution changes are only temporary and for the printed output only but are not saved. Whew!, thats a relief.

Yutosi

Power User
Gla dyou got your answer Brook..
Could yu be Brook Shields
btw i'm broke..:)

and welcome to PSG

Ammar