What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratch Disk

Sounds really promising Sue. If it stays like this I would advice you to stick with your system. Remember the golden rule; if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)

Good stuff, Sue! :) I've been following this thread with more interest, than understanding, and it's good to see that matters have dramatically improved for you since doubling your RAM! :)

Erik... perfect analogy! :rofl: 8[

I'm kind of short on time, so I appologize if someone already covered this...

The basics of photoshop memory and efficiency from a practical perspecitve:

Photoshop needs
1. RAM
2. Scratch disk.

To fufill #1 it asks the OS for memory space... depending on how much is set in the preferences. The OS decides how much goes to RAM and how much goes to VM.

To fufill large image issues, #2 comes into play and photoshop uses it's own proprietary memory management tools (e.g. scratch disk).

What you want to do is balance your ram useage (the little percentage slider, or allocation in mac classic) so that you have enough for photoshop but still enough for your system to run. If you allocate too much to photoshop it will actually slow down because the OS is giving it a ton but then it has to use normal VM to compensate for it's own activities. Too little and the same problem occurs... photoshop starts to page to it's scratch disk.

Ways to alleviate. Find a good balance. The amount of ram your OS needs depends on the OS. Windows home versions suck for this (95, 98, ME, xp Home). Most other OSes deal with it a bit better. So leave some ram available for the OS to work, put your scratch disk on a separate drive if possible or at least a separate partition (this is a good idea for your OS VM as well).

There are also some settings that are hidden in photoshop that can make changes to how your machine behaves. There are some folders in the install folder (also stuff in the gooddies on the cd I beleive) that have to do with how photoshop accesses the hard drive, how it builds the scratch disk, how it uses vm compression, etc. You can turn on and off these functions by reading the readme's and following their methods. This was more of a big deal with older versions of PS (5.5 and earlier) as most of the advanced features were turned off. Poke around and see what there is. (check out photoshop/plug-ins/photoshop only/extensions).

Also, and this SHOULD go without saying, but make sure you're on the latest build of your PS version. MOST of the time the x.0.1 version is a memory leak fix for adobe products. In illustrator 9, I remember until 9.0.2 it wasn't even usable until you patched. It would leak so bad that after 5 minutes work it would freeze my machine.

Like I said, sorry if I'm repeating, just thought I'd throw that in there since a lot of people don't know the balance theory and think that just jamming the memory up higher is the solution.

$0.02

MindBender said:
Also, and this SHOULD go without saying, but make sure you're on the latest build of your PS version. MOST of the time the x.0.1 version is a memory leak fix for adobe products. In illustrator 9, I remember until 9.0.2 it wasn't even usable until you patched. It would leak so bad that after 5 minutes work it would freeze my machine

Excellent summary, MindBender! And it's true that very often a new build of PS solves the problem. AND....sometimes the latest in your OS software will solve it. I remember with PS 6 and Mac OS 9.0.2, it wouldn't get rid of the temp files on the scratch disk like it's supposed to, so the disk kept getting filled up alarmingly quickly. PS 6.1 corrected a memory leak, but OS 9.1 corrected the scratch disk problem.

Great explanation MindBender! :perfect: Especially for a 'non-techie' such as myself! ;)

Thanks for the info Mindbender; very useful for a lot of members. ;)

thanks for all the info guys.......... after yesterday's test my system hasn't failed......... started to slow down just a tad after using myob, dreamweaver, dreamsuite, IR, photoshop and burnt 8 backup cd's of work (2 more to go he he he).......... I did notice that as I worked in PS and the eff was 100% - a couple of times it got down to 23% then I would save my file and instantly it became 100% again :D but as it is running nicely now with it's new memory and scratch disk I don't see a need to change the os now....... the only thing that I have to do today to it is put in the other network card to match hubby's he got us both intell's so that should fix that problem (his system crashes when he accesess my files with psd files hidden within)
sfm

Back