What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

screen mode

magenta01

Hi,
i am finding that the blended image in screen mode is lighter and not as crisp as the original.
things like stars and lights are just not coming out as i hoped.

is there a solution?

thanks

Hi @magenta01
I would have helped to see the two images that you were blending with Screen Blend to provide more targeted recommendations.
In lieu of that, here is my best advice.

The easiest way for me to think and describe this is with the star pattern Layer to be above the background Layer with the star Layer set to Screen Blend.

To get a good result where the stars are just added without also have the background increase in brightness (and appear less sharp) is to have a high contrast start image.
Increasing the star pattern contrast can be done with a variety of different adjustment Layers yet when you add the Adjustment Layer, make sure it is "clipped" to the Star Level so the Adjustment Layer does not impact the background Layer

Hope this helps.
John Wheeler

thanks john,
i've followed those instructions already, but it doesn't seem to have the pop i need on the screened image. this is the image in question.

thanks

Screenshot 2022-10-22 at 16.16.51.png

Hi @magenta01
I may be confused. Are you just trying to get more pop with this single image (e.g. duplicating the Layer and applying a blend mode (e.g. screen) or are you starting with two separate images. If the later, what is the second image?

Note there are many ways to add pop to a single image yet clarity on your starting point would be helpful.
John Wheeler

this is the second image, which is the underlying image.
when i place the previous one above it on screen mode, it just doesn't look the same as it's original. looks dimmer

Screenshot 2022-10-22 at 15.21.56.png

• Star layer above earth layer. Star layer set to Screen.
  • Layer mask on star layer to allow the Earth and blue halo to clearly show.
  • Added a Levels adjustment, clipped to the star layer, to increase the contrast and add "pop". See settings for Levels in the screenshot.
Is this closer to what you want?

Untitled-1.jpg

• Star layer above earth layer. Star layer set to Screen.
  • Layer mask on star layer to allow the Earth and blue halo to clearly show.
  • Added a Levels adjustment, clipped to the star layer, to increase the contrast and add "pop". See settings for Levels in the screenshot.
Is this closer to what you want?

View attachment 133238
thats great thanks

Back