What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sd card

Paul

Former Member
Having some issues with my SDHC card, its a 4GB card i use it for general photography, i have made a couple of gif files that i was going to transfer to the card to view on the tv, but it is saying i need to remove write protection. I have clicked the switch over from open to locked and vise versa to no real improvement, any ideas guys.
The gif files are very small so lots of room on the card?

Paul

Former Member
Bumped simply because you all looked but no one replied:mrgreen:

iDad

Guru
On a mac I simply erase the card and start with a blank one.

Paul

Former Member
Yeah i have formatted it, not had to before but i have for this new venture, but still saying i have to remove write protection, i even tried tape across the card switch no joy?

iDad

Guru
Can you access info and remove the permissions, I don't use PC but that what mac does

egosbar

Guru
every time ive had that problem with either usb or sd it generally meant they were stuffed , important to back up info every time especially on important stuff

there may be a fix but i never found one

MikeMc

McGuru
The "switch" is a mechanical block, it lets the drive see it , have you tried another card? I use 5 or 6 and by swapping cards that will check your source. Can you see the file in your camera? if so get the file with a USB

Paul

Former Member
Even though your computer said it was locked it was able to format the card?

I formatted with the lock off, i then went to load new images from computer to the card but it says i need to take off write protection first, i removed card and flicked switch but no joy?

Paul

Former Member
Yeah no issues at all, it's only been since i wanted to load the card with images from the computer been ok in the past though steve?

Hoogle

Guru
When formatting it are you using windows formatting tool (right clicking the drive icon and selecting format.

If so make sure you select NTFS Format and select use device default for size

You may have to choose a full format as a quick format does not erase all the information on the card this tends to be the case when you use the cards for mobile or camera devices as well as they format the card with a different compression rate and usually partition the drive that appears to be a folder with your camera name etc. This is why windows see it as protected. So go in deep and rip all the information out with a full format.

Paul

Former Member
Must be a temporary/glitchy thing because it's not happened since but i did ask around and they can be temperamental at times, thanks anyway.

MikeMc

McGuru
Must be a temporary/glitchy thing because it's not happened since but i did ask around and they can be temperamental at times, thanks anyway.

That sounds like a dirty contact on the card.

Clean the gold contacts gently as they are thin, and usually surface dirt you can see.

iDad

Guru
Buy a new one:mrgreen: