What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seamless patterned tile

Jujuschi

Hello!
I have to submit this assignment for university where i have to create a seamless tile. I drew a honeycomb tile, but once i used the offset, my pattern became uneven and i don't know how to fix this. Could someone please give me some instructions? Much appreciated! ^^

offset.png

Honeycomb copy.png

Hi @Jujuschi
If you just wanted instructions, it would be best to post on the General Photoshop Forum.
The Free Photoshop Requests is for someone to do it for you.

This may not be what you want yet most any pattern can be made repeatable taking a copy, flipping horizontal and placing it to the left or right of the original. Then take both of those Layers, Duplicate, flip vertically and paste on the top or bottom. Then this quadrant result is a repeatable pattern.

I did that with your image and the result is below.
Now if don't want to take that approach or have other limitations then there are other approaches as well
Hope this helps some
John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 8.07.37 AM.jpg

Thanks for the guidance! This is a great method, but i can't apply it here because the pattern needs to be even. Basically we're creating textures that later will be used in games

Hi @Jujuschi
then watch this video. If you have a more recent version of Photoshop this feature should help. Basically the top edge has to match up with bottom edge and left and right edges need to match up. This tool makes it a lot easier and points out as you go when you are off:

Hope that helps
John Wheeler

This thread has been moved to the General Ps Board.

The thing about seamless patterns is that the original pattern does need to be symmetrical and capable of matching on all sides. The pattern you have provided as a sample can not be made into a seamless pattern as is.

The first thing I would do would be to start from scratch and create the honeycomb so it's symetrical.

Start with the first cell
Use the Polygon Tool set to 6 sides to create the base for the cell.
Select the color you want the cell to be.

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 10.01.43 AM.png

Don't use the stroke on the tool........add a stroke via a layer style.
Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 10.01.56 AM.png

Make a selection of the cell by hitting Cmd/Cntrl + mouseclick on the polygons thumbnail in the layers panel.
On a new layer, use the Brush Tool (as you did before) to create the shading.
On a new layer, use the Brush Tool to create the highlights.
Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 10.07.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 10.37.06 AM.png

I would use this same set of layers to create all of the cells................you can add variety later once you have the selection to be used as a pattern.

Now center this new cell in the exact middle of your document.
Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 11.46.41 AM.png

Now copy and paste the cells and position with the Move Tool.
You can group the cell layers and move entire groups.

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 11.46.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 11.47.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 11.47.29 AM.png

This is all you will need to make the seamless pattern.

At this time, you will either have to merge all of these layers or merge a copy of all visible layers into target layer -- Cmd/Cntrl + Shift + Opt/Alt + E

I used guidelines to create the area of cells I would need for the "base" of the seamless pattern.
(I could have gone out one more cell layer with the selection)
I then created a selection using those guidelines.
Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 11.47.51 AM.png

I then copied that selected area to it's own layer via Cmd/Cntrl + J

Make sure the pattern is selected.
Define as a pattern.
Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 11.48.16 AM.png

You can now use this as a seamless pattern...
Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 11.48.30 AM.png
(

Back