What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seggregating a picture into two

tmbabu_78

Hello evryone!

I am new to this forum. I have little knowledge on photoshop. Now coming to the point, I have attached the picture inwhich I would like to get that "lady and gentleman with the wire" as a separate picture. I wish to create a flash with the background sky moving despite their communication. Hence I tried to extract it, but the boundary/edge of the pictures looked ugly.

Kindly suggest me a way for this!

Lakhs of thnx,
T.Murugesh Babu

Hi tmbabu_78 and welcome to the forum. :)

Everyone has their 'favourite' method of 'extracting' parts of a photo and yes, generally speaking, the 'extract tool' works great. However, in this case, it could be that the image is too small and you weren't using a small enough brush? Is this the actual size of the image? [confused]

Whatever... apart from the pen tool (which is your most precise method of selection), I would try applying a mask. Whatever method use choose to make your selection (i.e. magic wand, magnetic lasso, color range, etc.) you're going to have to do a fair bit of handpainting on the layer mask to get rid of the excess selection because the image is a sillhouette. :\

Enjoy your time on the board and good luck with your project! ;) Consider it a basic 'learning experience'! :D

Hi tmbabu_78 and welcome to the board - I hope you enjoy your time here. It would be good to see how you fair with this project. Maybe you can post some results when you are done. Good luck !! :D

In case you're having trouble with this project, tmbabu_78, I extracted the couple with the telephone, using the pen tool and have posted it here as a transparent gif with a white matte. :)

Feel free to use it. If the matte doesn't suit you, I can always E-mail you my PS file and you can apply whatever matte colour you choose. ;)

Wendy (wbiss) as always, excellent work ... and so giving of your time and talent :perfect:

bubble!!! ... you are around! ... you had me worried that I had 'upset' you with the pic I posted in the fodder thread :D

Namvet!!! There is a picture of me in the fodder thread... now what a surpirse!! [stuned] Seems I have some catching up to do. :D

No, not disappeared, just been too busy lately to do any of the things that I want... surprise :{ :perfect:

Tx Ian (namvet)! We do what we can, when we can! ;)

Sometimes what I do when i'm trying to extract something with little contrast between foreground and background(as in where the feet meet the horizon) is I duplicate the layer and pump up the contrast via a curves adjustment layer. This will give a tracer image from which to make a mask from(you could also extract the pumped up dupe, select the transparency, and layer via cut the original layer from that selection, but heres a better way:). This pumped-up duplicate shows a bit more distinction in the legs, but the feet are lost in oblivion. So this is where I would use my imagination and draw them in in a mask. So after I have the duplicate, I would add a layer mask to it, adding in the feet in the mask, and also draw their outlines, make a selection of that mask(the example isnt so great, as it was rushed) and then layer via copy it from the original. Then I would drag the extracted elements to my new document via the layers pallette. There are many ways to do this, this is just my first inclination.
have fun
:perfect:

doh... was on my way to check it out, when I realised you posted a link, now I'll have to reply then look then reply again.

But as I was saying, thanks Tranq.. on my way to have a squiz.

aussie talk for look :D

Tranq...I did see this one... and congrats, it has made it into my 'folder with pics of me' folder!! I may have confused you with my reply though, cause I sorta changed your name. I was going to call you T2 to the power of 3 before, but then realised that probably wasn't mathmatically correct!! :D

I said:

T2x3 - thanks, that's the nicest "mind my own business i've gotten in a while" I'm with you Joy, I think we'll have to work on bringing out his 'meanness'... shouldn't take too long round this place!!

Oh, I didn't see that reply. Sorry for the redundance. I don't go into the fodder forum too much anymore, I just dont have it in me. Besides, you don't want to turn me mean, do you?
[honesty]

It wasn't redundant!! I often find that I've missed heaps in the fodder pages, so it was good that you pointed me in the right direction :perfect:

And no, your just right the way you are Tranq ;)

Back