What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selection

limey

Power User
Hi ,? I am trying to select a portion of? a picture so that I can alter the colour.
The Wand tool doesn't work well for this application.
The area is almost like a rectangle with a smaller rectangle inside and the area I'm after is the space in between.
What I'd like to do is to use the Lasso tool to select the outside rectangle and then while I have that selected use it again to select the smaller rectangle.
Then what I would like to do is to change the colour in between the two selected areas.
Unfortunately the first one doesn't stay selected and I'm not sure even if it did whether or not I would be able to paint inside the two selections.
I've thought of selected the inner rectangle and copying it to another layer and then copying the original larger rectangle and just painting inside that.? ?Once I've got the colour I want I could replace the inner rectangle from the layer I saved it to.
Would this be the easiest way to do it or is there another way.
Thanks.

You can make your outer selection then hold the ALT key while making the inner selection qnd the area between the two wil be selected.

Another alternative would be to go into Quick Mask mode (press Q). Paint with a black brush in the areas you want selected. Go out of QM mode (press Q again). Now just invert your selection - Ctrl+Shift+I/menu path "Select" --> "Inverse"

Great fellows , one down and one to go.
That method of yours fotobill worked a treat, thanks.

Back