What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Sharpen the image

LaModifica333

Heyyy :). Anyone want to take a crack at sharpening this image (specifically my fathers face)? This is our second Fathers Day without him and I’d like to make an edit for my Mom. I’ve run it through Remini, which helps, but the face it produces looks absolutely nothing like him. I’ve tried adjusting the pixels, etc through PS but no luck. The color photo attached is the one I need help on. The other pic is what my results look like…and an example of what I do not want lol.
Thank you in advance and Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there!

4F02D516-FBE4-44CB-A396-44B035128CC9.jpeg

FE7997BC-D2D0-455A-B043-036913BD3015.png

Hi @LaModifica333
I will provide two versions below yet a couple comments first
- The actual information in the JPEG file you produced is insufficient to reconstruct an accurate representation of your fathers face. I have shown the Luminosity component of the image and you can see the large blocking which is caused by JPEG compression. Any reconstruction whether automated or by hand would be guessing at what his real face would be.
- There are a couple potential options a) do you have a better less compressed and/or higher resolution version of the original image? b) do you have an alternate better picture of your dads head with approximately the same pose that could be substituted.

I don't want to be the messenger of bad news yet it is a very difficult image to improve.
Below is first the luminosity of the original and a couple tries for an alternate image. They are not sharp and all JPEG artifacts were not removed. Bascially want you want/need is beyond my skill set yet gave it a go.
Other forum members may be able to provide a better image
John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 12.05.01 PM.png

Attempt 1
Fathers-Day-Enhance-1.jpg

Attempt 2

Fathers-Day-Enhance-2.jpg

Hi @LaModifica333
I will provide two versions below yet a couple comments first
- The actual information in the JPEG file you produced is insufficient to reconstruct an accurate representation of your fathers face. I have shown the Luminosity component of the image and you can see the large blocking which is caused by JPEG compression. Any reconstruction whether automated or by hand would be guessing at what his real face would be.
- There are a couple potential options a) do you have a better less compressed and/or higher resolution version of the original image? b) do you have an alternate better picture of your dads head with approximately the same pose that could be substituted.

I don't want to be the messenger of bad news yet it is a very difficult image to improve.
Below is first the luminosity of the original and a couple tries for an alternate image. They are not sharp and all JPEG artifacts were not removed. Bascially want you want/need is beyond my skill set yet gave it a go.
Other forum members may be able to provide a better image
John Wheeler

View attachment 122036

Attempt 1
View attachment 122037

Attempt 2

View attachment 122038
Hi! Thank you for the explanation!! Very informative And much appreciated.

unfortunately this is the only image I can find of this picture. I don’t know when it was taken so I have no idea where to begin to look for the original.

This picture of my father I guess would be the closest. It’s his eyes that make him look different in the edited pic I produced. The rest of his face is realistic. Is it possible to Superimpose just his eyes?

Thank you so very much for taking time out to assist me!!

83A52BB7-F9E0-480D-A5C0-F6B07F63B875.jpeg

Here is one with the eyebrows from the new picture as well
Best wishes on getting it exactly the way you want
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

OPs-restoration-with-new-eyes-and-eyebrows.png

Had some time...made adjustments as best as I could as well as blurring the background to provide a bit more visual contrast.
I pushed the sharpening as much as I could but it started to create a lot of noise.
- Jeff
View attachment 122044
Holy crap Jeff! That looks great!!!!!! I think that’s the closest I’ve seen!!!

Wow!!! Thank you!!!!

Back