What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Sharpening Image for 16x20 printing

Landlocation

Premium Member
Need some guidance on sharpening this image for 16x20 printing, have made a few attempts, thinking it could be better. ThanksMap 173-72-S1-0030.jpg

ex_teacher

Guru
Here's my shot. I tried a few methods and ultimately decided on a sandwich of Focus Magic and USM plus some 'spotting' and tonal tweaks. I didn't bother cropping to 16x20 or resampling up. That last should be done for final print prep but that's a discussion for another day.
I would suggest cropping to 12.5x16 and not 16x20. You don't have a lot of information here, you would be wasting a lot of original image and it would look better smaller. You would also be presenting it in an aspect ratio closer to the original. See the bottom image.

16x20_print_2.jpg

12-5x20_print_2.jpg

Last edited:

Landlocation

Premium Member
Thanks, this is soo much better than my attempt, I printed both this one and mine, I just wish I could be better at this, any video's on You tube that can direct me or other info?

Kim

ex_teacher

Guru
I've sat here for the better part of half an hour thinking how to respond to this and I'm not coming up with any answer that provides help. Sharpening, is an arcane art better left to Voodoo practitioners.

It involves capture sharpening ( from RAW or in-camera Jpeg). base sharpening while processing, and output sharpening for print...keeping in mind the specific printer that will be used. Much of that is determined by experience, personal taste and a decent set of digital tools.

I haven't used any sharpening help in many years. Maybe someone else here can point the way to your first steps.

If you want to get into it into great depth, try 'Real world Image sharpening' a book from Jeff Schewe/Bruce Fraser but its probably not where you should start.