What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharpening or similar operation with layers

dkperez

In a recent seminar, the presenter recommended NOT creating a merge visible layer above all the adjustment layers. The idea was that you'd open your image as a smart object, do whatever editing was needed, and everything was non-destructive.....

So, open image as smart object
create layer for cloning/healing
create curves adjustment layer
create hue/saturation adjustment layer

Clone/heal do happy stuff, adjust curves, play with saturation, etc....

Now I'm at the point where I want to do to an unsharp mask or smart sharpen. And I'm not supposed to create a merge visible layer to do it on... So, how DO I do it? I can't use the original smart object image layer 'cause then everything done on the layers above won't get sharpened, which can look really odd...

So, how DO I do "normal" sharpening or even better, high-pass sharpening WITHOUT creating a merge visible layer?

One quick way that I can think of is (you won't like this but it works) merge visible, copy it,back up so they separate again close those and paste the copied image

Or duplicate the layers close the ones that you want to keep merge duplicates

The above that iDad suggested works and is valid, however a faster way of doing this would be to create a new blank layer then go to Image - Apply Image. This will apply whatever is visible onto the top selected layer. You can then use filters.

Why not apply the filter to all layers that have pixels. Your original smart object will retain the filter settings. I think you can then transfer those to the healing layer. Hold alt/opt, click and hold the symbol and move it to the layer. It might be necessary to make the healing layer a smart object though. I've never tried moving any filters or effects this way unless it is from smart object to smart object. This would be against your rules?

Thanks for all the replies... I just got back, so I haven't tried any yet, but I'll play tomorrow. As far as rules, I'm not sure there really are any. I wish I could go back and rewatch the seminar (I can't), because when it was explained (why you don't want to create any merged/fixed layers) it made sense... But, now that I'm actually using smart objects and trying not to create new fixed pixel-bearing layers after adjustments, I'm having problems....

Kind of like the problem of going back and changing the smart object in ACR after you've done healing/cloning... The healing/cloning layer doesn't get changed, so changes made to the smart object don't match the healing/cloning any more......

Back