What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I edit a jpg file with photoshop?

Tepazi

Hi!
I just took some pictures today with a DSLR, in L quality (not RAW).
I am planning to use these photos for my Etsy shop.
I want to use the clone tool to get rid of some details in the background but I have the impression that it is not good to edit jpg files on photoshop,
What do you think?
thank you very much!

Tepazi

and besides using the clone tool, I am also considering increase the exposure in some of the photos, would that affect the photo quality? (again, I'm only planning to use the photos in my Etsy shop, not to print it on a wall :))

ushere

others might think otherwise, but if, after manipulating your jpg's, they look good on your monitor, i'd say you're good to go.

Doris McFrazzles

Sorry, new here, but been using photoshop for a few years now.

others might think otherwise, but if, after manipulating your jpg's, they look good on your monitor, i'd say you're good to go.
Agree with this. You can easily edit jpegs in photoshop, it's just not quite as good, but if it's just for etsy, it should be absolutely fine. Most people just use their phones.

JeffK

Guru
Just an added bit - when you edit your image, save it first as a psd (Photoshop) file, then do a "save as" as a jpg to post on your Etsy shop. This way if you want to an additional edit, you can always go back to the psd. If you edit a jpg, save it as a jpg, then edit it again as a jpg, and resave it again as a jpg, that's where the quality loss happens. That's why jpg is referred to as a lossy format.

You'll also keep your original intact.

- Jeff

Tepazi

Just an added bit - when you edit your image, save it first as a psd (Photoshop) file, then do a "save as" as a jpg to post on your Etsy shop. This way if you want to an additional edit, you can always go back to the psd. If you edit a jpg, save it as a jpg, then edit it again as a jpg, and resave it again as a jpg, that's where the quality loss happens. That's why jpg is referred to as a lossy format.

You'll also keep your original intact.

- Jeff

but what if I save my jpeg as a PSD?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
but what if I save my jpeg as a PSD?
Even if you somehow manage to save the original jpeg as a PSD, you can always "save as" from the PSD back to a jpeg format.

Just backing up what Jeff stated above.
Open your jpeg in Ps, make any alterations to the jpeg, "save" the PSD file, then "save as" a jpeg. In essence, you are just saving the edit history of the jpeg by saving the PSD that you can go back to if you want to make additional alterations. Once done with editing and from the PSD, "save as" a jpeg file again...............this new altered jpeg can then be uploaded to Etsy.

Yellow Cup for Etsy uploaded as a jpeg
(YellowCup_01.jpg)
Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 11.50.31 AM.png

Maybe I need to add a new version of the cup for my Etsy shop.
Maybe a blue version. Open jpeg in Ps. Make alterations. Save PSD file. "Save as" a new jpeg...
Now I have a blue version.
(YellowCup_02Blue.jpg)
Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 11.50.39 AM.png

Wait! I also need a red version. Open the PSD file, change color, save PSD again, "save as" a new jpeg.
(YellowCup_03Red)
Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 11.58.34 AM.png

All versions and edits are saved in the PSD file.
Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 12.06.50 PM.png