What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I export to PNG or JPG if original is JPG?

Ovi Sergiu

Hello!
I have to retouch pictures of paintings in order for my cross stitch software to give me a better export design.
(My cross stitch software reduces the picture to 200 colors and uses Stucki Dithering algorithm - if this helps)

Let's say I have a JPG picture, I do my retouching and then I have to export what I did.
What would be the proper format to export what I did? PNG or JPG?
I know PNG is a lossless format and I think I should export my retouching to PNG, but I am not sure.
My cross stitch software accepts both JPG and PNG formats.

Thank you in advance for your kind replies.

Hi @Ovi Sergiu
If you have the JPEG stored at a high quality setting I doubt you would see any difference and your program accepts both.

Yet, if you are concerned, you could save you image as a PNG and as a JPEG, run them both through your program, and I am assuming you can see the output of the cross stitch program either by viewing or printing and compare the two and see if there is any difference to you.

Just my quick thoughts
John Wheeler

Back