What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should one change the resolution of the preview photo?

avz10

I use PS 7 and learning fast.

The default resolution when I open a photo, is set on 72 pixels per inch. This produces a photo with not a lot of detail and my previews are not the same as the end result. I have read somewhere that it is better to work on 300 dpi. Is this correct?

And if so, how do I change the default setting?

Or should one always work on 72 and occasionally change to 200-300 dpi??

Thanks for any opinion

Oh, my:) You really have to study on resolution thing a bit:)

First of all, when you open a photo it's resolution is the one set by your camera or scanner, nothing else. PS does not make any choice here. Image file resolution is given once and for all by the time it's borne. Every image format contains resolution data and PS simply abides it.

Second. What are "previews" anyway? You mean on the screen? Don't ever make any judgment on screen previews, they sucks, and aren't supposed to be precise anyway.

Third. Once you've opened the image you may change it's dpi resolution any crazy way, but it won't change the image a bit. Except for it's linear dimensions when printed or placed in some decent page layout program.

You can change number of pixels in your image, though, by means of interpolation(resampling) process but in that case it would be different image and another story alltogether:)

I am not sure that this will display well, but let's try:

I have a Canon 450D that takes excellent pictures.

If I open PS to edit, the quality of the picture is not what it should be, making editing difficult:

2-3.jpg

This is the picture as saved on my PC:

IMG_1312.jpg

The best area to look at is to compare the back of the guy in the front's neck. Although it is a biiger picture, the edge of the neck is sharper.

So my question is, is it possible to get a better image while editing?

Last edited:
Of course the preview is BAD at 16% zoom level. It's natural, your monitor resolution won't ever let you see the same quality as printer does. There's nothing you can do about it, it all comes down to hardware. PS tries hard to make it easier for you and make up for the difference, but it's just a compromise. And admittedly BAD one.

There is a nice feature like New view(or New Window), giving you the ability to view and edit your image at the different zoom values at the same time.

TaylorMade-R9-Driver-Golf

I am planning to buy a golf club. I’m just a student but I want to buy a CGB driver. Is there any website that I can buy some discount clubs? GolfOrderOnline seems to be a good choice for me, aha~~Do you have any suggestion?

The Golfonlinesale was launched in 2007, providing customers the most discount golf equipment, the most reliable after sale service
TaylorMade r7 CGB MAX Fairway Wood

TaylorMade-R9-Driver-Golf

Back