What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SiteGrinder...PS plugin to make websites?!?

Welles

Guru
The pitch...

SiteGrinder is a Photoshop automation plug-in that converts Photoshop documents into interactive web pages. It does this in a way that is both more intuitive and more powerful than other web tools. SiteGrinder generates the sliced and compressed graphic files and HTML files necessary to create everything from a basic text menu to an entire multi-page web site with navigation links, popup menus, and fancy graphical buttons all programmed for you.

Would somebody who is really conversant with making web sites please try out the demo and review this plug? It sounds good... too good?

http://www.medialab.com/sitegrinder/

I just found this thread. needless to say, I downloaded the demo immediately. I'll be messin' with it as soon as I can and will find a way to show the results. Maybe I can make an .exe from the result and post it somewhere. Any ideas?

I did a page for SiteGrinder on my plug-ins directory, complete with screenshots:

http://www.plugsnpixels.com/sitegrinder.html

I use GoLive to do my site designs but have been having trouble getting rollovers working properly in the browser. I did a test page using SiteGrinder and my rollovers worked fine!

For Photoshop users it's definitely worth pursuing this method of site design.

I'm thinking about buying this thing, but doesn't imageready do the exact same stuff? \:/

I'm thinking about buying this thing, but doesn't imageready do the exact same stuff?
Not like SiteGrinder. I think it works by naming layers in PS? i.e. index, rollover, etc. I haven't really tried it out, but I always use Dreamweaver for page design and layout. It is much easier than IR, and you can do a lot more with it.

Thats why it's better just to have the whole toolbox. :)

Yes and it's my experience that if you're really interested in web design that you always want to be able to do more. I know that Sitegrinder is pretty limited in that area.

Gaussian said:
Yes and it's my experience that if you're really interested in web design that you always want to be able to do more. I know that Sitegrinder is pretty limited in that area.

It does seem limited. I didn't look at all of the features before posting that comment. I will be taking classes for more web design this upcoming College school year. :)

- Al

Sitegrinder is a very capable tool for the enthusiast, to easily get a site up and running. Of course those that design using more elaborate or more root tools will find it a bit insulting. But for what it's worth Sitegrinder gets your average bloke going.

SCync said:
Sitegrinder is a very capable tool for the enthusiast, to easily get a site up and running. Of course those that design using more elaborate or more root tools will find it a bit insulting. But for what it's worth Sitegrinder gets your average bloke going.

I have a feeling that Image-ready can do so so much more in terms of getting a good site going. I have used it before and made some pretty impressive stuff.

Take Care,

- Al

Alistair said:
I have a feeling that Image-ready can do so so much more in terms of getting a good site going.? I have used it before and made some pretty impressive stuff.?

What's so impressive about ImageReady? \:/

Alistair said:
Gaussian, I was wrong; I was working with fireworks.? I had created this:
http://www.be.wednet.edu/OurSchools...2_spring_05/Wressnigg_portfolio/web/index.htm

Nice work Al.? :perfect:

Alistair said:
But still, imageready is good for sites.?
Read up on this: http://www.mickm.com/index.php?section=tutorials&id=84

Good for sites? Tools are not good for sites, web designers are the ones who actually design sites and come up with the ideas, with or without help of a customer.

Why use ImageReady, when slicing can already be done in Photoshop?
Creating the HTML code using Photoshop/Imagready? I agree, excellent for users who are still a beginner and who don't want to learn much more. It's much better to just grab the sliced pieces and use a descent web editor and write the CSS for it. It also allows you to have much more control.

Al, creating that HTML code and then editing it like in that tutorial seems all pretty cool, but what they don't tell you is what you have to do when you decide to slice your images in a different way. Creating new HTML code in ImageReady? But you just manually edited that code on...100?.... pages!? :cry: :cry:

They also don't tell you what it means to have 100 HTML pages without CSS and 100 HTML pages with CSS in combination with PHP or templates. [innocent]

Al, don't stare yourself blind on Imageready, Sitegrinder, Fireworks, etc. Try to see the global picture. Designing a web site is not just a matter of designing a nice page. It's also about maintenance and w3c validated code and maybe you don't see that importance right now, but wait until you have a few hundred pages on your web site. Imagine for example that IE7 is released and that it turns out that it causes an error in your layout. Imagine fixing all pages by hand....?

Designing a web site is not just a matter of designing a nice page.
That is soo true. Making all the graphic elements of a page is the fun and easy part. Coding is the necessary evil of designing a site and you'll be banging your head against the keyboard trying to do it all by hand. Gaussian is right. What if you need to make changes to multiple pages? Oh, I can do it by hand. Ha ha ha right.... [stuned]

Gaussian said:
Al, don't stare yourself blind on Imageready, Sitegrinder, Fireworks, etc. Try to see the global picture. Designing a web site is not just a matter of designing a nice page. It's also about maintenance and w3c validated code and maybe you don't see that importance right now, but wait until you have a few hundred pages on your web site. Imagine for example that IE7 is released and that it turns out that it causes an error in your layout. Imagine fixing all pages by hand....

I'm learning either way. I do coding without programs, and I also use dreamweaver.. and frontpage, and fireworks, and imageready [stuned] I can tell that doing straight up code with dreamweaver is the best way to go. Frontpage is a waste of time [confused]

- Al

Alistair said:
I do coding without programs, and I also use dreamweaver.. and frontpage, and fireworks, and imageready? [stuned]? I can tell that doing straight up code with dreamweaver is the best way to go.?

Why use Frontpage when you have Dreamweaver or use Fireworks if you have Photoshop/Imageready?

Isn't that a waste of money and time?? \:/

Btw, you can perfectly hand code with Dreamweaver, whether it's CSS, HTML, PHP, etc. I find it actually one of the better code editors around.

Alistair said:
Frontpage is a waste of time

I totally agree, even Microsoft thinks that way? :D :

http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/en/default.mspx

And as for Fireworks, that has no future either in my view. Personally I think you're better off with less tools. I was like you at one point; tons of programs that overlapped each other. At the end I only knew?how to use 5-10% of all the features of each one of them.? :\

Gaussian said:
I was like you at one point; tons of programs that overlapped each other. At the end I only knew how to use 5-10% of all the features of each one of them. :\

I use Frontpage because a client requires it :\

and... if I do learn more of each program, that means I can meet clients specific needs better. If they want a specific program used (for whatever reason), I will know how to use it.

- Al

Gaussian said:
Why Alistair, what's so specific Frontpage that a client wants you to use it? :)

I guess because they have Frontpage and that's the only way they know how to edit a page themself without getting electrocuted :D

Back