What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smudge tool

chaichild22

I just switched computers and started up Photoshop 6.0 for the first time on this new one. Everything works fine except for the smudge tool - when I try to smudge something it starts adding black to it too, so that whatever I was smudging gets darker. I don't know how to undo it. I've tried smudging on all the settings (different brushes, modes, pressures, finger painting and dynamics) but it won't go away. The smudge tool works perfectly on the Photoshop sample images, but not on any I've created or any new documents. Do I just have the wrong settings or is something else the problem? How do I get it to just smudge without adding black?

me too

I'm having the same problem. Strange thing is, I'm using the exact same program from the exact same disc that I used on my old comp with Windows XP.

I opened a photo and zoomed all the way in (1600%). When I use the smudge tool (diam 60, hardness 100%, spacing 999) it spread 2-3 pixels over in the direction I moved and only about 2-3 pixels distance. When I used lower settings or turned spacing off, it didn't seem to change anything.

P.S. If there was a link in the last post, I can't find it.

Default settings have no effect. Putting all these settings at max was the only way to get any noticeable effect on the picture.

OK, I'm having this problem too. Trying to show students in my classroom how to use smudge tool in Photoshop 6.0 (we can't afford to upgrade). Anyway, I did a guided practice lessons so we all did the same thing. Half of the students could smudge correctly and the other half, including me, could only get black. We tried comparing screens to see what what set differently and couldn't find anything. Anyone figure this out?

Thanks for your response. I restarted my machine, then downloaded version 6.0.1 and the tool worked. I'll check with my students tomorrow and see if that is the issue. The finger painting or Use All Layers boxes were not checked.

Later, after I had skipped ahead in the Classroom in a Book lesson, I painted the pistols of the lily yellow. When I blended the white, it blended with yellow. It appears to have something to do with the last tool and color used.

Once I restarted the machine, downloaded version 6.0.1, and painted the lily petals in white, the blend worked. Still not sure why????

Back