What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snap To Grid

brian_mk

I am having problems getting snap to grid to work when creating vector paths.
I have attached a screen dump that shows the problem.

Snap.jpg

For the test image, I created a canvas 100mm x 100mm with a resolution of 10 pix/mm.
The grid size is set to 10mm with subdivisions every 2mm.
I then tried to draw a rectangle aligned to the grid.
As you can see from the attached screen dump, the rectangle is not exactly aligned to the grid.
The only way I can align it is by turning off 'Snap To Grid'.
What am I doing wrong?
'Snap Vector Tools and Transforms to Pixel Grid' is enabled in Preferences.

Draw your path but it wil be displaced

Untitled-2.jpg

press and hold ctrl and use the mouse cursor to move the path, it will snap to the grid...

Untitled-3.jpg

In case the problem was related to pixel resolution, I tried creating a test image with 10 times the resolution i.e. 100mm x 100mm @ 100pix/mm.
The same problem exists.

If I create the rectangle when zoomed in, as you drag a control point close to a grid line, it will suddenly jump one pixel to the left or right of the grid.
I also notice that when I zoom out, the absolute error visible on screen does not reduce in proportion to the zoom factor.
It suggests some sort of display rendering problem?

Last edited:
I've just discovered that if, after first creating the rectangle, you subsequently use Transform->Scale, you can then align the rectangle exactly onto the grid.
The alignment problem only happens whe you first create the object.

I do not use a grid often, but there's no way to make it snap to the grid right away even when the dimensions are correct.
You'll notice I did create a perfect square but it did not snap to the grid.
Therefore once created you need to press and hold ctrl and move the rectangular path until it snaps to the grid.
Don't ask me why this happens, its Adobe...
I work with CorelDraw too and when actived the 'snap to grid or guidelines' works perfectly, you place the cursor on the cross section and it snaps right away...(I have no idea how it works with AI since I do not use it)

It will snap to grid right away if you enable 'snap to grid' and move the cursor reasonably close to a grid line when you first create the rectangle.
That's not the problem I am having.

Try creating a test canvas 100mm x 100mm @ 10pix/mm.
Set the grid to 10mm with 2mm sub divisions.
View Paths.
Then zoom right in so that a 10mm x 10mm grid square almosts fills the entire window.
Enable Snap To Grid.
Now try and create an Unconstrained rectangle aligned to the grid sub divisons.
What I find is that the top left corner will usually jump one pixel to the left and one pixel above the grid line.
As you drag the bottom right control point to set the size of the rectangle, it will also jump one or sometimes two pixels (depending on the rectangle size) away from the grid line.

I've noticed that while testing.
You can use my method or yours with the free transform command but I didn't managed to get my initial corner snap to the grid...
Like I said, it's Adobe...

Weird...
I did set the grid right and the dimensions on the rectangular path are 50 px X 50 px...

Untitled-1.jpg

Back