What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I have a quick question

imryannn

Okay so I just recently got into photography and have been messin with photoshop for a couple years here and there. Decided to get back into some design and photo editing again.
Came across this picture in a photo manipulation search on google...
photo_manipulation_2.jpg
Okay so I am not trying to do the texture they used(leafs i think they look like) but the over all color and darkness/grunge look of the skin and facial hair...I will be a taking a portrait similar to this and want to try and have the color/darkness come out similar...

any help would be great
Thanks

2 solutions I can offer 1st 1 being simple but very unpredictable it is called the dragon effect there are numerous tutorials around that teaches different methods or there are loads of free actions that will do it. I tend to find the tutorials and actions are very hit and miss on the effect on your own images. Frankly this only really works and looks good on certain images.

The 2nd method I have got quite close to the effect is full control over it yourself but a lot of trial and error.
The basic workflow I would do is
Black and white adjustment layer but set the blending mode to luminosity (you can try other blending modes but you will need to lower the adjustment layers opacity to stop it from going greyscale.
adjust the sliders usually red 1 for skin
add a vibrance adjustment layer and decrease vibrance ( you can also try hue\sat adjustment layer reduce both vibrance and hue
add some contrast adjustments via adjustment layer or use unsharp mask filter to sharpen it.

And then play with your image maybe some dodge and burn techniques. or flatten image duplicate it and change blending mode to darken \ multiply etc

The other method if you have filters Nik colour effex pro has a tonal range filter built in that gets similar effects
so does Topaz labs

Okay wow, thats awesome thanks for the reply.
but to be honest I understood the first solution, and if I have any questions I could look into a tutorial like you suggested but the second suggestion, you lost me at the lumiosity blending option...where do I change it and do I need to do anything before or after it is changed for it to be in affect?

Thanks again and sorry for the noobish questions haha

What helps this picture before any real lighting adjustments are made is the fact that all of the effects that have been added are in the ball park of what the finished image would look like, a clever use of layers and colours with textures that compliment the final light alterations to achieve finished product.
Lots of burn used in that one on varying layers with alterations to the light on each, Dragan is a good start to get to this, but like H said you will need to continually play with other effects to reach your desired outcome.
TO COPY THIS AS IS - YOU WILL NEED THE SAME IMAGE AND EFFECTS APPLIED.

thanks for the help. haven't got my camera back from the shop yet to get the portrait i need to start trying these out yet

but here's as close as I can get to explaining whats in my head to you guys...
screen-capture.pngscreen-capture-1.png
what I'm trying to get at here, is the roughness/grungy look that is given to them...for instance like that have been in dirt and dust and it is in there wrinkles/skin and hair...granted yeah they probably have that in real life but what did they do to make it stand out more in the photo...i dunno if that explains my thought any better

thanks for the quick responses though

HDR toning will give you that effect quickly, but you will still need tp play with lighting.

Black and white adjustment layer decreasing red value and yellow
Setting blend mode to luminosity this is found in the top of layer panel
layer.PNG

flatten image and duplicate the layer set that layer blending mode to multiply reduce opacity

add a solid colour adjustment layer of a brown nature if needed and set the blending mode to colour\soft light and decrease the layer opacity

Flatten image and go to filter > unsharp mask and tweak it. Possibly have a filter plugin or action that will do a bleach bypass for a bit more grungey look
screen-capture.png

oh and an fyi for best results the better resolution and sharpness of image the better the results you will get. Obviously the colour settings and the amount you apply the effect is personal preference.

Okay perfect! I think its going to be a little bit of all this to get what Im looking for and a whole lot of time, patience and tweaking...
thanks a whole lot!!!

okay so i actually found pretty much exactly what i was looking for in a picture to show you guys...maybe make it a little darker but this is as close as i am going to get in the fact of showing you...

New-but-not-new-HDR-64150859.jpeg
it says its done using HDR style editing, but every other picture that i have seen that has used HDR editing looks nothing lik this or what i want...AND every HDR tutorial doesnt explain what I need to do to achieve the outcome i should get with HDR...

HDR toning is a very good way of altering a image very quickly (too quickly) you have to be subtle and takes things real gentle otherwise it goes pear shaped really easily, its just going to be trial and error until you get that magic combination mate.

I cant find any tutorials on how to do it, at least non that actually tell you what to do without either skipping steps or assuming you already know what they are doing...

awesome thank you so much, now i cant wait to get my camera back so i can finally get the portrait shot i need to try these out
thanks again

Back