What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something has "control" of my dessktop

Lee Olson

This may be a topic for a Mac computer forum but I'll ask just in case. I was just working in Ps and all of a sudden all my open images and folders just snapped to the right side of the monitor. When I try and move them they just snap back to the right border. I can't find what just happened so I can undo it and things on my desktop stay where I put them. Does anyone know how to correct this?

Thanks

Last edited:

Liberty1976

How do you that?

Anti virus software.

You should never run a computer without some kind of good anti virus software.

I also have a second firewall that blocks IP addresses. You would be surprised at how many billions of
computers out there that are accessing your machine.

Good software is going to cost you money but I'll tell you this , I'm virus free and its almost impossible to hack me.

Lee Olson

I have both Mac and Norton firewalls on my machine. I'd be really surprised if someone hacked into my computer. I think I accidentally triggered some setting that automatically puts all desktop items along one side of the screen. I just don't know how to turn it off.

Liberty1976

I have both Mac and Norton firewalls on my machine. I'd be really surprised if someone hacked into my computer. I think I accidentally triggered some setting that automatically puts all desktop items along one side of the screen. I just don't know how to turn it off.

I use Norton as well.

So yeah , you probably don't have a virus.

As far as the problem you are experiencing , you probably did accidentally trigger a setting.

Is this problem happening with Ps or the computer itself?

Liberty1976

I'm 90% sure it's the computer

Oh crap.

That sounds like a serious problem. That definitely shouldn't be happening.

You should always have total control of your computer.

Try running Norton power eraser. It should detect a problem that regular virus scans don't.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What macOS are you running?

Right click on your desktop and make sure you have "sort by" "none" selected.

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 1.46.53 PM.png

Lee Olson

Hey Sam, I'm running Mojave 10.14.3. I'll try your suggestion.

UPDATE: You found the problem. When I right clicked on the desktop there was an option checked called "snap to grid." I have no clue how it got checked in the middle of me working on some Ps images but I just unchecked it and everything is back to normal. Thanks for your right click suggestion.