What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

space bar stopped working as hand/move tool

nurgle

Hi all.
was happily working for ages, when using the brush took, that holding the space bar would temp change to the move/hand tool till releasee dand then change back to the tooll in use.

but after a recent photoshop crash that feature stopped working. How do i get it back.

Photoshop CS6. iMac High Sierra 10.13.6.

I has tried resetting all that I can find, and re starting holding Option Shift Commans, but noting works so far.

regards

Sandy

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reset your Ps prefs.

How to reset Photoshop preferences (In Windows):
First, hold down all three Ctrl + Alt + Shift buttons. Now "while keeping those button held," simply open Photoshop or a file that opens with Photoshop, and as Photoshop loads, you should get a prompt asking if you would like to "delete the Photoshop settings file", Click yes. You should now have a fresh slate with all of the settings returned to their default.

On a Mac, hold Shift + Option + Command while starting Photoshop to delete the preferences.

nurgle

Hi, yes I tried that. deleted the prefrences, but still the space key does not tem change from thebrush tool to the move/hand tool... holding the space key has no effect at all. the brush tool stays the brush tool th whole time. regards
Sandy

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Sandy
There have been some strange causes of this problem in the past so here are a couple links with similar problems. I do not know if this is related to you system or not. They were Mac issues associated with browsers in one case and Wacom table in another. here are the links and hope this helps yet hard to say
John Wheeler

https://community.adobe.com/t5/phot...nd-tool-photoshop-cc-2018/td-p/9924608?page=1

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/hand-tool-spacebar-isn-t-working/td-p/8295082?page=1

nurgle

Hi,

thanks for the information. Dont have a wacom... (well didi ages ago, but when i upgraded to High Sierra it no longer worked and un installed it all)
Downloaded that White Window Workaround, and tried in in all the plug in folders i have, including an external plug in flder. never showed up in Photoshops system info window. ever. and had no effect at all.

frustration beyond belief.. (was going great using the space bar, and then slowed everthing down to a using the H key... like hitting a brick wall..)

thanks for the infor.

regards, Sandy.

nurgle

OMG.... the space bar /move tool has just strated working again. hallelugh.. I am back in full swing... Cant explain it.. but as I had installed that White WinodWorkaround plug in in a few plug in folder and restated photoshop over a dozen times, each time resetting and deleting the preferences, and then finding that did not work... and then goingthough my plug in folder and deleting all old unused plugings etc, and rounding things up..

then just this minute, it has started to work perfectly like old.. cant explain, and unfortunatly i deleted the trash so I cant say what old things, though i know 'Melancholy' plug in was one, etc... so i sumise that the problem may be an incompatability with some plug ins, possiby old ones..

anyone have this problem should try moving all none adobe plugins out of the photoshop folders and try each one... for me I am no two scared to even attempt to 'play with fire' or upset the apply cart now while it is working. leave well enough alone.

Thanks to all that helped with ideas...
regards, Sandy
Giant Camera.jpg