What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Splitting C Drive for Photoshop Scratch Disks

CadillacPat

My other question was solved quickly by Gedstar and MrTom, thanks so much.
May I press my luck a little and ask another?

My brand new (2 days old) Hp Envy 750-111 is showing a window in Photoshop recommending that I move either PS or my Scratch Disks to another drive.
This new PC is 8GB of memory with a 2 TerraByte Hard Drive. Running Windows 10
I did not think that the 100 GB of files I have installed , (all under Documents) would be a problem on a machine of this size.

The only programs I have installed are PS 6 and Picasa,
I will be attempting to find a version of Font Thing that will work with this new Windows 10 64bit.

Can anyone give advice on doing this?
Can I do this without running a risk of losing data?
My D Drive (Recovery) shows 1.5 G remaining out of 14G. Should it have that little remaining?

Thanks

MrToM

Guru
Unless you start experiencing problems with the PS tile redraw rate, sluggish filters or just a generally 'slow' performance then I wouldn't worry about it.

There are conflicting recommendations from Adobe themselves about which drive to use as the scratch disk but to be honest I've never had to manage it to any degree.....it's just left at default.

Familiarize yourself with the scratch disk settings in the preferences so if you need them you'll know where to look and what to change but leave them at the default settings and see what happens for now.

If there is an option to not show the warning again then I'd suggest taking it.

With only 8GB of RAM you may want to check the PS memory usage from time to time.....PS is not very good at memory management and doesn't release unused memory when it doesn't need it....meaning your whole system will suffer as a consequence.

Setting the 'Font Preview Size' to 'none' also removes a 10 year old memory leak issue which will also help.

Regards.
MrToM.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi CadillacPat

From the title I assume you are asking about repartitioning the C drive for PS performance.

That will not work. The whole idea of having the scratch disk on a separate hard drive is so that reading and writing can be done from both drives simultaneously and increase the overall bandwidth to the hard drives.

Partitioning a drive to have the Scatch Disk on one of the partitions would have zero or negligible impact and you are why risk messing up your primary drive.

For sure don't mess with the recovery partition. It is designed to hold just the recovery information and is sized to do just that. You should not be storing anything on that partition.

I agree with Tom, unless you see a real performance issue I would not bother. If you do see an issue, you need to add a separate hard drive.

Just my opinion of course.

MrToM

Guru
Because there is not enough memory......says so in the message.

Regards.
MrToM.

CadillacPat

Yes Tom, it says so in the message.
That doesn't seem to jive with only 95g of data installed.
I think I will follow the original advice I was given about creating another Drive, I just need someone to help me with that.
Thanks anyway, I do appreciate your former answers.

MrToM

Guru
Its not the drive space that's the problem....PS doesn't have enough memory (RAM) to open that file.....how big is that file you are trying to open?

(And when I say 'How big' I mean in terms of filesize....KB...MB....GB...etc etc.)

Regards.
MrToM.

thebestcpu

Guru
HI CadillacPat

Tom is correct about the error message. It is indicating you have insufficient RAM which as stated on your system is 8G. Your Hp Envy 750-111 can be upgraded to 16G according to the HP specifications I copy and pasted below.

My standard recommendation these days when PS is used is 16G as the baseline as it is too easy to run out of memory or hit major slowdowns. Best solution is to get the 16G RAM in place as first order of business. You will be highly disappointed if you try and solve your problem by splitting or adding a disk HD.

The memory used is a function of both the size of the project (images) which are loaded in all tabs as well as other programs/data you have running simultaneously. I typically have LR and PS running and when I used to have 8G, I would always run into problems or even with just PS open if I had too many files open or just a small number of large files.

BTW - Whoever is giving you advice (assuming you shared the same info) to split the disk, that to me is a really big red flag that you should question their advice and judgement. It just does not make sense given what you have posted in this thread. Just saying.

Hope the extra details help and here is the info from HP:

John W/heeler

Memory upgrade information
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
  • Supports the following:
    • PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
    • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
  • Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:

32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers
    note:

Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

Last edited:

CadillacPat

It's just a 4mb file of psd styles from Deviant Art.
I downloaded dozens of them on my old smaller computer.
I don't have other programs running and the only programs I have installed are Picasa and PS 6.
I thought certainly upgrading from an 4g computer to one with 8g would be a breeze.

Specs
http://cuttingedgenotebook.com/hp-envy-750-111-review/

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I've found the file you are trying to open and it contains a font which is not standard in PS.

Give me a minute and I'll create an alternative file for you to try.....which I'll test in CS6 first before dending it to you.

It may be just that file but we'll see...

I'll be right back.

Regards.
MrToM.

CadillacPat

Thanks Tom, but it's not the font I want but the style.
As I said, I already have a lot of these downloaded and installed on my old hardrive.
It just does not open with this brand new computer.
I have all the fonts I need and use them in Font Thing
Thanks

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
"The only programs I have installed are PS 6 and Picasa"

Are you using Photoshop 6 or CS6 on Windows 10?
Photoshop 6 was released in 2000

If it's Photoshop 6 it's a 32bit application and will not utilize all the available RAM on your PC, 32bit applications will only see 4GB of RAM
Windows 10 uses about 1.2GB of RAM and that's without any other applications running

Last edited: