What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spyware in Photoshop CS???

Erik

Guru
from some other forum:

a new service called "Adobe LM Service" seems to be Macrovision SafeCast spyware.

This spyware cannot be disabled. When the startup type in WinXP
or Windows 2000 is set to "disabled", SafeCast re-enables itself the next time Photoshop is started.

Each time Photoshop is started, SafeCast takes an inventory of
the machine it's installed on, and will refuse to load the application
if it decides too much has changed. The copy protection appears
to be analogous to that found in Windows XP:

The most frightening part of SafeCast is that the licensing terms
can be changed AFTER THE PRODUCT IS PURCHASED.
So, for example, if Abobe decides to make Photoshop a
pay-per-use application and customers do not agree to these
terms, Adobe can remotely pull the plug on these customer.

C

Chester

four solutions for this;

a. dont buy the product
b. buy the product and disable it with...
c. dont buy it but still use it...
d. ignore it

Tron

Guru
Erik; that is indeed a frightening concept - have you any backup for this information?

If it is true I think there will be a lot of PSP customers on the market soon

lindaw

Power User
All the more reason to stay where I am. You purchase their product in good faith and they feel the need to track you, your system setup, etc. Big Brother needs an attitude adjustment. [upset]

stOrM!

re

Huh?

I wonder, I couldn't find it on my system (I run some spyware checker it doesn't noticed the mentioned spyware here)

I'm in luck? :D

Well on the other hand, in my opinion, I would stay with PS7 cause the things which changed in PS8 wouldn't make me buy it nor use it...

regards
s!

C

Chester

its not just a problem of adobe.

lets be honest, when it comes to security, computer and the internet are still tools from the 19th century.

get used to it. everybody complained about the WinXP activation but now the majority is using XP. for those who're saying that they dont buy photoshop cs because of this... well, then get used to the fact that you wont buy photoshop at all, for a long time...

and then you can say... "ill buy something else"... doesn't work either...its a trend...microsoft, macromedia, adobe...most will follow

same on the internet... in the beginning everything was free... look at it now. some brainless people who read too many fairy tales even believe that linux application will always be free even when 90% of the world is using Linux...
welcome to the real world!

and btw, for those who refuse to use Photoshop CS... i guess then you also have to stop using Photoshop 7; it contains spyware too --> aom.* files in C:program Files/Common Files/AdobeWeb [innocent]

Tracy

Hi, I found that file with an exe extension. I think the main problem I have with spyware other than the obvious is the system drain. These companies do have some leg to stand on in terms of protecting their software from piracy, Auto FX, for example, phones home inevitably and if there are 2 identical serial numbers running at the same time both programs are somehow disabled.

Sorry I have been scarce for about a year, got some writing jobs so not much time for leisure!

lindaw

Power User
I have one offer of freedom....Zonealarm. This along with a very well maintained firewall keeps all the nosey people out and the nosey programs in check.

As for following the crowd...I have never been one to do that. I have more than enough tools to move forward in my trade. If something comes out that has services I NEED then I shall research it. Until then I am most happy where I am. Too many companies have become rich because the masses follow with no question. Spyware, it's everywhere, just a fact of life.

Erik

Guru
You can safely change Adobe Online Manager's extension into something like axa, and it won't change anything in Photoshop.

ZoneAlarm is ok, as are other software firewalls, but they run inside Windows, so how are they going to control that?
A hardware firewall is best, but for most users too complicated.

Besides: Quicktime also "needs a plugin" and wants to take you to Apple's homepage for nothing. Don't allow, and the movie will nearly always play.

There is a difference between spyware (that wants to know your preferences for commercial reasons) and these security thingies.

So best is to have a comp to connect to the net, and another one to work on.
If you're paranoid, that is.

btw: ever went to www.grc.com ? There is a page that shows the info your browser is showing to veryone who can read it.
Not difficult to know where someone is from when you know the IP adress...

C

Chester

lindaw said:
I have one offer of freedom....Zonealarm. This along with a very well maintained firewall keeps all the nosey people out and the nosey programs in check.
no firewall is perfect. the only perfect firewall is removing your connection to the outside world
lindaw said:
As for following the crowd...I have never been one to do that. Too many companies have become rich because the masses follow with no question.
most people dont follow a crowd, they are considered by others to 'follow' a crowd, that's something different

you cant say that the majority of windows users are just brainless followers. please give the majority some credit will ya

this is not the year 1980 when most of us were still computer illiterate.

C

Chester

Erik said:
You can safely change Adobe Online Manager's extension into something like axa, and it won't change anything in Photoshop.
and yes, you can use a crack to disable any kind of activation of a legal version of your program, so whats your point?
it doesnt change the fact that it was there in the first place
Erik said:
There is a difference between spyware (that wants to know your preferences for commercial reasons) and these security thingies.
even a talended computer dude needs quite some time to figure out whether something is spyware or some security issue.
the point is that computers and the internet develop so fast that the average users are losing more and more control over their privacy.
Erik said:
So best is to have a comp to connect to the net, and another one to work on.
i totally agree, but thats getting harder and harder too. today theyre still allowing activation by phone... until one has the guts to change that and suddenly more will follow... it has always been like that

and look at .NET, where do you think thats heading...

Erik

Guru
Some of the best digital artists I know of still use Photoshop 5.5 on something like a G3 with perhaps 500MHz and 256 sdRAM.

It is a problem for people who think that they will be better artists when they have that last "must have", forgetting that the previous version was also a "must have" etc. Bizarre that many, many "pro's" think first about their bank-account, instead of sponsering multi millionaire software companies. So who do they get? Neither the hardcore group nor the real pro's (who have to live from what they create with it) but mainly working people who want to take a copy home, some software collectioners and wannabees...

I started with Photoshop 7 and it can do more than I"ll probably ever need. Suppose I can safely say: " Don't bother to insist, mr Commerce man, I've got all I need."

note: Even if you only have one Windows puter, you can install 98SE for the web and XP or 2K for work. XP and 2K can read FAT32 and NTFS, but 98SE cannot read NTFS. And after axtivation, in case of XP, only connect that cable/modem when 98 is active.

ToXin

hehe, I'm quite happy sitting here with a P3 500, 512Mb ram in 98SE and PS5! :D

Although I may have to update next year to play DooM3, and I'm not sure if the problem I have with my tablet crashing (ther's something in there that causes a division by zero error) is because of the old setup...the load on the HD is now getting a bit much and access times are looong.

The only thing I thing I would like to use is the healing brush & patch tool, although it's not essetial enough to justify a more powerful PC to cope with XP etc. I'm waiting on 64bit being the norm, NVidia to get their chipset stable and be able to get it all at a reasonable price [stuned]

ToXin

Oh, I also added win2kpro on a separate HD to make it a dual boot system so I could play with MAYA PLE :) unfortunately the PC isn't up to anything more than modelling very basic shapes

ToXin

no, not yet. I have read the info but not got around to it yet.

I have also got GMAX - the thinned down version of 3DSMax. Just playing really, not got anything specific in mind i just find it interesting :B

jonbalza

Erik said:
a new service called "Adobe LM Service" seems to be Macrovision SafeCast spyware.

This spyware cannot be disabled. When the startup type in WinXP
or Windows 2000 is set to "disabled", SafeCast re-enables itself the next time Photoshop is started.

I honestly don't know what service this could be referring too. The only service that was added after I installed Creative Suite Standard on both my home and work computers was "AdobeVersionCue". (Both are XP Pro, if you're interested.)

Also, I installed Zone Alarm before CS, and no such service ever asked permission to access the internet.

It sounds like someone is just ticked off at activation to me.

btw, I haven't been around here in a while... Those "New Reply" chrome buttons are killer.

Erik

Guru
I won't be able to verify this in the near/far future as I won't upgrade.

Thanks for this info.
:perfect:

jonbalza

ehhh... Actually, I should double check that at home. I can't find the service running on my work computer, and I don't remember seeing it at home, but we have the group license stuff at work, and that might work differently.