What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spyware in Photoshop CS???

NOT upgrading is not an option, its nothing but a dream; the majority in the world is not some grizzly adams or a robinson crusoe.
what is happening in the world around us is in some way controlling which software and hardware we HAVE to use to avoid ?isolation? and of course, its all up to every individual to decide if he/she prefers isolation.

of course, you can always delay your software and hardware purchases, but you cant avoid it (technically). so i dont see the problem why some people decide to upgrade earlier than others? who cares? if they have the money and they are willing to spend it?

I don't follow you here. (this is my personal opinion).
Isolation? How do you mean?

I am in no way financially dependant on my computer and only use it because I like to. I bought this thing to have a digital darkroom, and some digital creativity. I never game, never download music or films, and I rarely install freeware or trialware.
And I don't think the Internet can make up for a shabby personal or social life. Everything is an illusion, and the Internet is just a bit more illusion that "real" life.
I know that there may come a day (in a few years at the most) that hardware won't work with something as old-fashioned as XPPro anymore, and that, when a real crash occurs, memory banks or a processor will be difficult to find. I can indeed collect spare parts... (I do have some HDD's in stock)

The reason for my personal decision not to upgrade is not caused by this activation procedure, but by the simple fact that 7 does all I want, and can do much more that I ever dreamed of in my pre-computer days. I decide what to buy and spend my money, not someone else trying to convince me that my life is pointless if I don't own this or that.

But of course, everyone is free to decide, and those who do upgrade will have options those who won't have not. Let's hope they will be able to show that these new optionsare indeed indispensable for good creative work.
Permit me to express my doubt on this matter...

Unfortunately, my computer at home has this service installed, but not running currently.

I am very worried about this "changing the agreement" business, though. I have trust in Adobe, but this scares me.

erik, i can understand that its possible that someone has a problem to understand what i wrote (im just human) but i cant understand why you didnt wait for my reply to answer your question what i meant with isolation.... before writing a long reply based on an assumption... [confused]

and what an asumption you made... to think that i meant being 'isolated' as a human being... you should really give the intelligence of people more credit...

if a user really has the NEED to be seriously productive with this computer, then he will 'isolate' (i wrote those quotes in my earlier post too) himself after a while as a computer user from other computer users, if he refuses to upgrade his soft- and hardware.

examples;

- spare parts for computers that are harder to find, but also things like ink/toner cartridge cartridges
- software that cant read the more recent data formats
- old hardware that doesnt allow you to install the newest larger hard drives, usb devices, dvd players, etc
- browsers that are suddenly too old to successfully connect to corporate web sites or intranets, banks, online stores, etc
- software that is incompatible with certain hardware
- children that go to high school need a computer that is quite up-to-date. in college its even more important! Not because to "go with the flow", no because of educational and technical reasons.
- new technical achievements in the area of privacy/security

...and this list goes on and on

and i repeat; its all up to every individual to decide if they want to upgrade.

Yea I checked and I seem to have the Service installed as well, although not running
I opened PS and the service was still in the manual mod, not running

Not sure what this actually means or what would happen if I disable it but I think I going to try to turn it off and see what happens. [confused]

Although I've had PS 7 since it first came out and now CS and it hasn't caused me any problems so maybe as Chester thinks it's just (my term) "the cost of doing business" ? [confused]

I read that thread, and the Photoshop engineers point out a flaw in the conspiration theory: Safecast is not Safedisk.

On other threads, I saw that the anti spyware programs doens't consider the macrovision add on as spyware. The tax program has been revized, so has the anti copy one...

Also: they didn't notice information being sent out by the macrovision program.

If you are still concerned, it is very possible to use Photoshop on a machine that is not connected to the net...

But I don't see why Adobe would do that...while Microsoft has more interests and has been strongly suspected to do so in the past...

Has someone here a program that detected it as spyware? did someone notice suspect network activities?

Sorry, Chester, it was not my intent to answer my question myself and certainly not based on an assumption.
I see your point, and I agree with it. In fact, my thoughts went in the same direction, but you expressed it more clearly than I could.

People running Win 98 or OSX are already left behind right now, as are puters that were state of the art a few years ago. Photopshop 7 uses that irritating pop up when you decide not to save a flattened copy to ensure backwards compatibility. With 64 bit taking over in perhaps a year, perhaps two, we will all be forced to choose. etc etc...

Indeed, we are on the same wavelength here.
And indeed, everyone has to decide for himself. Letting go of one, or perhaps two upgrades won't do much harm. This won't resolve the loss of privacy issue, but if you visit that link (www.grc.com ) and go to shields up, you get an idea what your browser displays all the time, and how nearly everyone has a unique code that identifies, and that is much worse that spyware.

Pierre, and Jonbalza: simply try changing the extension into "axa" or something like that (question to remember what it was..."old" can refer to anything...) and if all works, well, then there is no problem. And if things do not work anymore, then that's life.
Curious Labs had to get it out of Poser5 in their first update...Adobe gambles, and they may win, or lose...

Some people have PS7 making contact with the internet all the time. I never had this.

Erik I went to that site and let it analyze my computer and here is the message I got

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet ? solicited or otherwise ? was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.
So it seems my system at least is quite secure, according to their analysis

So is mine, Rick, but that item is not what I was referring at.

http://www.grc.com/default.htm

has a lot of nice tools and ideas

then choose Shields up under HotSpots.

Right in front of you, you see your unique indentification number. For most people this will always be the same, but even if it changes, they can always know who had which number when they want to. In other words: they can trace you at any moment, and in all your actions and all the sites you visit etc. Privacy?

The click proceed, and on the new page, in the links bar, choose Browser Headings. And read what he writes about that. Privacy?

I compared Internet Exploder [saywhat] with Opera [excited] . I know that Opera still is a tad too much "correct-code" minded, but from now on, I only use IE for updating XP's security patches...

And he is not the only one who can do this. Or does this. Ever opened a word doc in Notepad? Saw the header? EPS? Thought about MediaPlayer's unique identification number? DAT files in Temporary Internet Files?

Call me paranoid, but some people do have fun in tracing and chasing others.

I'd do all the tests on his site if I were you...

Hi There, 8[ Rick &Eric,

Here is a point that needs to be addressed.....I use steve gibson's site quite regularly and have for approx. 2&1/2 years...it gets better as time evolves...

Here is the point...if you guys are using a"WinDoze Box" Rick ..this is most especially directed to you....Your post indicates that "Shields Up" and "Probe My Ports" gives you a feeling of comfortability in that your machine is not "Being Seen" on the net and the fact is that it is not....but the test goes further to say that if you have spyware and/or bho's (Browser Helper Objects) Do a Google search for both; and you are using windows ...there is no guarentee that your browser is not"calling home" meaning that even if your machine has good "spyware" protection and crackers cannot see your machine on the net...if some type of spyware is already on your system...then it does not mean that your browser has not been Hi-jacked and sending signals to some tracking station...and that part of the test will not recognize this...

while your machine may be invisible to cracker's it may still be "phoning home" and those tests at GRC.Com may not be able to see this and tell you..there are other programs that will...

google search "spybot search and destroy" its free and it is excellent...google search...adware 6.0...its free and it works...google search .."pestpatrol....it is not free....but I use all three for security on my box and I'm able to stay clean!

another thought!

You can hide very nicely on the net if you are connecting to the net with Dial-up ...but if you have a big fat pipe...cable modem..DSL Modem...or Satellite you are running your machine 24/7/365 and security is tougher for those internet connections..

these issues have not yet become as troublesome to Mac users as they are for windows users...97% of the computer end-users are running windows and this is what the script kiddies and marketing wizards are attacking...

regards,

ranger72

Thanks for that info Ranger, you are right I am running DSL and pretty much 24/7 so I will check out those programs.

This is a good thread it could become a sharing of info on all types of security issues.

Perhaps we should move it over to the Other Interests board and contiue with this disscussion [confused]

OK Rick

I'll take it over to the "Other Interests" section and continue on with some additional information which you may find useful [shhh]

I'll tippy toe over there and start a thread!

ranger72

ranger72 said:
'll take it over to the "Other Interests" section and continue on with some additional information which you may find useful
where is that threadf? [confused]

Hi There chester

Yesterday I spent a bunch of time typing the post and cyberspace gobbled it up :>) then I had to leave with Mrs. Ranger to do some things....Later today I will do it again but this time I'll compose it in word and save it to my hardrive before I try to post it again.

sorry folks...we'll get it done

ranger72 }P :B

Back