What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

storing files

ronmatt

Guru
I have 2 drives on my PC. A 120 gig master, an 80 gig slave that I use for storage of files primarily. My question is, is there a way to disconnect the slave ( I want to put in a new one ) and still maintain whats on the disks ? Or, should I move everything ( the stored files ) to an external HD and if so, how long will that be good for. There are muy gigs of files that I don't particularly want to copy to disk.

I`m asuming that you don`t have room on the 120 to transfer the 80 to it for the switch , then move them to the new drive ?

Ronmatt, sorry for the late answer, I missed this one.

ronmatt said:
I have 2 drives on my PC. A 120 gig master, an 80 gig slave that I use for storage of files primarily. My question is, is there a way to disconnect the slave ( I want to put in a new one ) and still maintain whats on the disks ?

Attach the new drive to the second IDE port, add a new extended partition on this drive (control panel/administrator tools/computer managment/disk management) and add to the extended partition a logical parition (I believe you can do that by right clicking on the empy drive space), format it with NTFS (also right click), copy the files from the old to the new drive and remove the old drive and replace it with the the new one that was attched to the second IDE port and make sure the the jumper is set to slave and you're ready to go.

Back