What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Studio Set Design

Rarooranya

Hi! So this is more a set design question than a photography one but I thought photographers might have more knowledge about methods... I'm planning to create a similar photo to this one. Obviously there's some quite heavy retouching been done but I was thinking about what the set looked like pre-photoshop. Do you think there were really a stack of red boxes with ribbons in the studio and then the model and arms were just composited together? The ribbon looks so perfect on the boxes which makes me think it was added after but is it really possible to photograph that set so perfectly and then touch it up in post-production or was it probably just some plywood boxes painted red and stacked up then everything else done afterwards? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :)

lazona_1.jpg

kaffee

As a former set designer, I would venture that the boxes with hands are a set up all its own, shot separately without the model. The "boxes" may not even actually have to be real individual boxes but an an "L" wall with protruding box-like structures decorated with ribbons and all.

The model seems to have been photographed in another instance, then added to the background in post, as have been the color corrections.

My two cents.

Rarooranya

It didn't even occur to me that the boxes might just be an lshape with bits sticking out to look like boxes! I think I was so distracted figuring out how to get the ribbon to look so sharp that I hadn't even put much thought into shortcuts to get around making hundreds of boxes (well maybe 20 or so).

Thanks so much for your response, you've definitely given me a lot to think about! :)