What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Subtle effect

gautamz07

Power User
LuLuMall-Kochi-FreeMedicalCheckUp-4Oct2013.jpg

Look at this image very very carefully . JUST THE BACKGROUND , what u see first is that is that the designer has applied a gradient , which is very very effective , but what makes this picture look so professional is if you look a bit deeper or zoom in you will see a few shapes , that really make this image look awesome , my question is what tool was used to make that , or how did the designer make that at all , i need to implement the same in one of my coming up projects , so pls help me . Thank you.

Regards .

gautam

You can draw hexgaonal patterns in Photoshop or take an image of the web I guess.

Then above the background blue gradient layer he would have set the new hexagonal layer to the lighten blending mode (at this point make sure the hexagons are white and the backgroud is black, you may need to invert the image as most images will probably be black hexagons on white background). Then he masked out certain areas so it fades out to nothing. He would have done this a few times over the top of each other so the hexagons overlay each other.

Thanks

Danny

Create or use an image of honeycomb cel in white outlines. For this I have a no background png of cels in black which I applied a change of color to white.

Drag into your work document above the background. Create a duplicate, transform/enlarge and move it around.

Play with the opacity of both layers.

I might be wrong but it looks like a subtle blur was applied to the honeycomb image. You can apply a blur if you wish....

Source image:

saud-hi.png

hexlayer.jpg

You can also use Danny's suggestion of inverting the colors provided there are no other color shades visible in the image. If there are, convert the entire image to grayscale.

Well Thank you danny , I Got The "lighten blending mode" part , now the challenging part is still the 1st step , how to make the hexa shapes , or may be downloading an image from google would be better , but i will still be interested in knowing how to make one myself , if your free can you just make one shape .. just one and post it and tell mewhich tool you used .

Thank you .

Gautam

Div8 Ahem Ahem ! I am lost for words , Thank you . Let me go try it out and get back to u soon .

Regards .

Gautam

Here you go, Tehre is a polygon tool at the bottom of the tools palette that will create a path from an array of shapes. The hexagon is one of them (you can also chose the amount of sides you want). This will make a path and you can stroke the path to achieve the shape you want.

Hexagon.jpg

Thank you danny , this will be hard , but i'll try it out , Thank you so much for your time .

Gautam

I Really Love what U've done Div8 .. I am Stuck Now , i got the image , put it one on top of the other , now what do i do ? :/ i am stuck , i want to do , exactly what you did .
Honeycomb.png

The mask isn't on the honeycomb image layer.

In my example, I used a gradient on the color layer mask to get that gradient effect.

Discard the mask you have on the honeycomb.

If you're using the cel image I first uploaded, it has no background. Drag it into your work file. And invert the colors ( Press CTRL+I ) to get a white fill on the outlines. play with the layer opacity.

Looking at your screenshot, your cel image has black lines on a white background.

Invert the colors ( Press CTRL+I ) . Doing so will give you this... as shown in the hilited layer preview icon - a black image with white outlined cels.

hexlayer2.jpg

Set the layer mode at SCREEN (as indicated on the palette....) and lower the opacity to your liking. My layer 2 copy is set at 20% opacity.... you can try that.

LOL... OK.... that's another way. But by the looks of it, you duplicated and merged the cel with the background before using the brush. And ended up with a different color tone to the image.

Follow what I outlined just now depending on what cel image you put in - with or without a background.

edit.... correction..... you used the brush on the cel image... lol.....

Here's something I created long time ago during PS7....

Load this in your CS and follow these instructions....

Go to MENU>EDIT>DEFINE PATTERN.... the pattern name flyout will appear. The file will automatically be labelled as ShellPattern05.psd. Rename it if you wish. Click OK. This loads the file as a pattern fill for use later....

Create a new document... 800 x 600 pixels at 72dpi is about right, I think. The larger the better.

Create a new layer.. label it as you wish.

In MENU>EDIT>FILL..... In the FILL flyout, select Pattern in the USE options.

Click on the Custom Pattern icon and select the pattern loaded earlier (hover your mouse pointer over the pattern fills to view the name if you can't distinguish it.

Click OK...... there's the honeycomb pattern tiled into a fill over the entire document for you to edit and use as you wish. Don't Flatten .... Save as a PSD for future use.

Here's another way to create the fill.... on a new layer, create a fairly large shape selection and use the Pattern Fill outlined above.

Attachments

• ShellPattern05.psd
    23.5 KB · Views: 1
Wow ! Div8 , ur such a good guru , though i got half of wht your trying to explain , i'll try doing what you said in the last post of yours . Ur such a good "Guru" (Thats wht we call a knowledgable person here in india) . anyway , let me go check it out and i'll be back in a min or two . oh and thanks for the appreciation as well . i know i did't do it in the most effective way , but i'll try doing it ur way and yeah at the back of my mind i had it that since i am loading the pattern on top of the BG , even if i reduce the opacity of the pattern layer , some unnecassary color would still be left . i'll sort that out later .

good for now , I'll go work on photoshop .
I'll get back to you soon "Guruji" .

Ok Div8 so for just one last time what did u do in ur Post #10 exactly , step by step , u don't need to be concise . but jst tell me in short what you did there , i see four layers stacked there and also one has a mask , i am not able to figure out whts going on there , so can you please guide me . Thanks

Back