What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions best way to auto batch enhance Tiff images

RedDwarf4Ever

The Batch tool or image processor, not sure which is best, I have 1400 photos and 150 slides, in TIFF format, which have been scanned professionally without any enhancement. Need to know which is my best option to auto enhance them. Would it be enough to create a script for contrast brightness colour or is there a better option, would like to auto sharpen as well if indeed that’s possible, but just slight, as obviously I couldn't do these individually. Thank you

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @RedDwarf4Ever
Both the Batch tool and image processor can run an action where the post processing is done so either could do the job.
If you are focused on creating resized output in multiple formats image processor has an edge. I suspect that was its main purpose when originally provided as well.
The Batch tool seems a bit better to me if you are not doing a lot of resizing.
Auto functions in Photoshop are not AI enhanced so for your purposes they will certainly help yet may not be the best on all images. A known tradeoff.
I don't recall a PS options for Auto Sharpen so I think you have to use a sharpen filter set to a specific amount of sharpenss based on the average lack of sharpness in your images.
Note however than the auto contrast capability does help with perceived sharpness so be sure to apply that first when setting the value of the desired sharp filter.
Just some quick suggestions
John wheeler

RedDwarf4Ever

Thanks John, I wont be resizing any photos , just enhancing them, thanks, so is image processor my best option ?

🤷🏻‍♀️

thebestcpu

Guru
HI @RedDwarf4Ever
I lean towards File > Automate > Batch yet either can work. I would flip a coin an get going. Most of the decision making is creating the Action to do the desired procssing with one of those two automation tools.
If you try one of the automation tools and don't like it, try the other.
Best of skill on you project
John Wheeler

RedDwarf4Ever

Thanks John, I had 1400 photos and 160 slides to scan, I’ve done around 20-30 which needed restoring, but couldn’t si at my PC for a week doing the scanning, been on my job list for years, found a company, that are very reasonable, not sure if I can plug them here, but will be around £200, scanned as tiff, white borders removed at 1200, I know that’s high, but I’m only ever going to do this once….

thanks

[ iLLuSioN ]

Power User
I lean towards File > Automate > Batch yet either can work.
I've never used "Batch" or "Image Processor" for years, since xbytor combined both "Tools" together to "Image Processor Pro"

More options, easier handle, less failures/errors (and still working with newest PS).

BTT - any automation is just a compromise. For some images it works, for some not.

In order to get optimal results, you can record the individual functions, such as curves, contrast, camera raw, in an action and activate their dialog windows in the action, so that all functions are called up automatically one after the other and the respective dialog window appears. This action can then be applied to all images via IPP and the settings can be made manually (if necessary).

thebestcpu

Guru
@RedDwarf4Ever I am at the same point you are btw. I have 15 years of slides and 15 years of negatives before moving to digital a coupled decades age. Have very little left to sort out before they go to the scanners sometime this year. Lots of memories that I want to make more accessible for me and my wife as well as other family members. My young grandkids on occasion come over and work to make some spending money. So organizing the slides and negatives has been what they have been doing. They get a kick seeing pictures of when their mom was a kid and my wife and I were much younger (and different looking) :) In considering who to send the job to for scanning, I value having a very reliable company where the risk of damage or loss of the originals is very low. I happen to live not to far away from one of those companies and will deliver the originals in person most likely in batches to see how it goes and reduce risk even a bit further than giving them all at once. FYI
John Wheeler

[ iLLuSioN ]

Power User
Looks like he has switched to Adobe...

RedDwarf4Ever

Looks like he has switched to Adobe...

Hello if you’re referring to the adobe forum, I haven’t ‘switched’ it’s to get some more ideas

thebestcpu

Guru
Hello if you’re referring to the adobe forum, I haven’t ‘switched’ it’s to get some more ideas
If you have any more questions or need other help for this forum just ask away. Other forum members may yet still jump in with their inputs.
John Wheeler

RedDwarf4Ever

thanks john
going to try image processor pro, bit also will try the Topaz products, have a 30 day full featured trial, maybe that will do what I want.

thanks for all the help this far