What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions for a tablet?

neolite

I've been getting more involved with Photoshop and think that I'm ready for a tablet. Can someone recommend one?

I use a PC w/ XP o/s.

Thanks!

Neolite

Hi neolite, and welcome to PSG :)

I have been researching tablets myself for the last couple months, and I've discovered that the the tablet really depends on the person. If you like a large surface to draw on then you could check out a Wacom Intuos 12x18 tablet. If the drawing area isn't that a big a deal, the Wacom tablets come in different sizes.

The bigger the drawing surface the bigger the price, although you can get really good deals on Wacom tablets by checking on www.eBay.com, www.half.com, and www.amazon.com. Just type in "Wacom" in their search box and check out the items that come up. Be on the lookout for "New & Used" because you can get a used tablet at a signicantly cheaper price.

There are really only two models of Wacom tablets - the Graphire series, and the Intuos. They have a Cintiq tablet, but this tablet is highly specialized and costs about $2,000.

If you're a PS nut like me, who likes graphic designing, then you would probably like the Intuos2 6x8, which cost around $300. The Intuos2 comes in other sizes, ranging from 4x5 to 12x18.

Visit the Wacom website to learn more: http://www.wacom.com/index2.cfm

welcome to the boards - I use a Graphire tablet from Wacom and wouldn't be with out it It is a smaller sized one 4X5 but I find it adaquete for everything I need

I have an older Wacom 4 X 5 PenPartner which I only use occasionally as an industrial accident some years ago left my dominant hand a bit inflexible. However, I researched Wacom prices and sources a while ago and currently I believe you will find very good prices at MultiWave Direct, with whom I've done business on several occasions in the past. Here's a link to their Intuous Platinum 6 X 8...

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?UID=CN-3343638&SCriteria=1939829&bop=and

If you go to the homepage and run a search for Wacom you'll find they have the entire Wacom line, including replacement parts.

people dont always automatically prefer larger tablets. i use a table to paint... but i prefer to paint in a small area; less arm movements and i need less space. like i said, a 'preference'. you have to figure out for yourself what you prefer.

on this one I agree with Chester [shhh] larger dosn't mean better it matters what you are going to do with it. (no pun intended) :rofl:

Agreed on the size thing. I have a 4x6 Graphite and I couldn't be happier with it. It doesn't hog valuable real estate and it's does everything I want it to do.

And, you can't go wrong with Wacom. The Graphite's price is right, too.

I got an Intuos2 6x8 methinks, I'm not too good with American formats. But it does an awesome job.

My mother has a Wacom Graphire2, which I tried, and it is really good as well, especially if you look at the price. Might not be as accurate as it's bigger brother, but it still gets the job done.

Great price on wacom 4X5

Thanks everyone. I saw a sale this weekend from Circuit City. Buy a wacom Graphire 3 4x5 tablet for $99 and get a $50 rebate. I figured for that price - it's worth seeing if I like it.

Neolite

That's a great buy and you will be able to experiment with using a tablet now very cheaply. One person to whose expertise I defer and I pay attention to on the Adobe Photoshop Forums suggested that if you really want to learn the tablet, put your mouse in a drawer for a whole week and you'll never use it again. Needless to say that person was a strong proponent of tablets. ;)

Good suggestion

I write with my left hand and control the mouse with my right hand.

I've noticed that I can keep the tablet stylus going with my left hand and keep the old stand-by mouse handy on my right hand.

(Now if I could just get these lazy feet to pull some of the weight, I'd be all set! :D )

Back