What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super imposing a picture question

shadow

Good morning group...

I'm hoping someone might be able to nudge me in the right direction.

I have a portrait, I would like to superimpose over a rose, so the features of the people conform to the petals. The end result im looking for is for the rose to look like the photo is actually part of / painted over the petals.

I've fiddled with various blending modes, with little success. I've turned the portrait into a bump map, with even less success *grin*.

Im not even sure it can be done without a 3d type program, in order to get that "wrap to the petals contours" effect ... I'm just too stubborn to give up yet.. :D

If anyone has an idea or thoughts to jump start my lone brain cell I would appreciate it muchly..

On another note, Wendy, would it be permissible to PM you off list? I have a couple of questions regarding your amazing glass/crystal globe.

And to everyone who contributes so much valuable info, and Mark for supplying such an incredible resource of idea starters, and place for so many talented people to meet -- I thank you all.

Its not often one can find as civlized and "dumb type question" tolerant community..

From the wet coast of BC... an early Best of the holiday season to everyone.

stan..

edit:
~whoops i've probably posted this in the wrong area .. im not a total newbie... sitting somewhere around 7 / 10 on the food chain..

Thanks Rick, i appreciate the link. At least now i know what i see in "my minds eye" can be done... (might have to buy the mind some new glasses though *grin*)

http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3891&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

thats on the right track of what i want to do.. but im just not sure what track to start on Right now im hitting one of those brick blank mental walls...

Im not "artistic" by nature and it sometimes takes me a lot of runs at a project to see causes, and effects of techniques... the never ending upward climb on the quest for learning. **chuckling** :D And with the amount of running at the wall i do, i should qualify for the Olympics...

shadow welcome to the Forum and have a good time here.

Hope this can help as well:

For the start of.. you need to select each petal and make a copy to separate layers.
And this is what I would do: make a d-map of each petal and slightly destort>displace each picture.

ljiljana said:
shadow Hope this can help as well:

For the start of.. you need to select each petal and make a copy to separate layers.
And this is what I would do: make a d-map of each petal and slightly destort>displace each picture.

YikeS... wow thats pretty labour intensive. If the folks in the other thread were doing that in an hour or less.. i tip my hat to them. Looking at the rose i want to use, i would guess it would take about a day or maybe even more to make selections of it... hmm might end up turning into one of those wait for the weekend and no distraction type fun projects...

Thnks for the input Lily... i hadn't considered a myriad of d-maps. Its amazing how when one gets their mind going down one road.. its often hard to see other avenues. I'll give it a try with a couple of petals first, to see if its going to net the result im looking for..

muchly appreciated for adjusting my viewpoint *grin*..

You are welcome! :)

How it`s going. Show us your results. :)

I don't think it's possible if you ask me.

Once you let parts of the face follow the petals in '3D space' you'll have a 2D image that only a slightly resembles the original portrait.

Sorry, but it's hard to explain... [confused]
You have to think in 3D to know what you can expect as a 2D result.

Lily

well if i said i used to have hair mean anything :rofl:

if i make any significant progress, have no doubt ill show it off.. **chuckling**

josh,
i ran into a tutorial some years ago that showed how to do something similar It may have been Russel Brown's flag/displacement tutorial, but im not sure. unfortunately 3d isnt an option (for me) ... ill keep tinkering

shadow

well if i said i used to have hair mean anything

Been there. ;)

In the section "Forum tutorials" you can find Stroker`s
tutorials about displacment filter. He did amuzing work there, and you should visit his site as well. :perfect:

Flag displacment is easy , and that tutorial that you have in mand you can find here:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/library/uc/ucrb_flagpast1.htm

Hope this helps.

Back