What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Terrible rasterazation mistake

mikelamar

I was making a template in Ai CS6 and after a few hours of work (by mistake) I rasterized everything, saved and closed. :banghead:

So everything now is pixelated. :eek:

Is there something I can do to turn them all back to vector?

Sorry mate. There's no way once rasterized , saved and closed.

If the rasterized version isn't too complicated to trace the shapes and redo the vectors. The only silver lining is that you managed to create them thus it takes away or minimizes the guess work involved on how you created them .

Unless it was a EUREKA moment and you don't remember how you got to accomplishing something..... ouchhh

Nahhh I just created a new set of icons which I have to redesign...I was working them 3 days.

I really don't remember what I was thinking that moment!!!

Unfortunately, I don't know of any general way to revert your file back to an earlier state (once closed) unless you had some sort of automatic backup system in operation.

If, by some chance, there were only a few vector objects in your file and you only rasterized them, but didn't flatten the layer stack, it's a lot less work than trying to reconstruct an entire layer stack.

I probably don't need to tell you this, but if, as you were working on the project, you had saved multiple copies of the PSD file, each with the date and time in the file name (eg, Grandma_portrait_recolorization-2014_01_21-1715z.psd) you would not be facing such a problem now. If you are worried about the space on your HD this requires, you can delete the oldest versions or the versions reflecting small amounts of progress when you are all done. Another option is to email the intermediate copies to yourself (or use dropbox or something similar for big files). This has the added advantage of providing an off-site backup should a fire or something awful happen to your computer or your office.

T

Work in Progress version.... meaning your work saved in a different file name at certain stages while your at it. eg vector01.psd , vector02.psd etc.

Unless that was the only file version you had all along.

Which is why its good practice to continue work on a copy of the last save rather than to work directly on the last saved version or to save the work in versions as you go along.... any mistake or mishap, you have something to revert back to.

I thought illustrators history panel will allow you to revert back anytime even after closed documents, isnt that the beauty of illustrator history panel vs photoshop

Back