What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text cursor broken

Emma79

Probably by me...

Hello, I just got photoshop today, and figured I'd try some easy text editing to start with. This is the PS direct from the Adobe website for MacBook (M1).

I was using the pen tool to create a path, then using the text tool to write along the path.
Each time I created a new path and started typing, it was creating a new layer.
This has been going well for a few sentences.

For reasons I can't explain, my little dotted square around my cursor has now vanished, but only if I try to type anywhere on the lower half of the canvas? So now I can't type in certain parts of my image, the wavy path line doesn't appear, and google doesn't seem any more knowledgeable than me on why that is?

What did I break and how do I fix it please and thank you.

Okay so I don't know what exactly I did, but I have managed to bodge-fix it.

One of the existing layers; the the text is in like a U shape. the cursor will not work anywhere inside that U. If I switch that layer off; it works fine.

Maybe someone can still provide some insight into a real fix though?

Thank you

Hi @Emma79
I could duplicate your issue and understand what is going on. I also have a workaround thought maybe another forum member has an easier solution.
To help with this I suggest you turn on the visibility of Layer Edges with the command View > Show > Layer Ediges
and then make sure View > Extras is enabled (will show a checkmark when enable

If you then click on a Text Layer you will see a bounding box around the X and Y limits of the Text that is Typed.

If you cursor is inside the Layer Edges of any of the other Text Layers, the dashed line or squiggly line will not show because it has the cursor associated with another Text Layer
To avoid this, you can turn off the visibility of any nearby Text Layer and the Pen tool cursor should work as normal.

There may be an easier shortcut yet thought this would give you one approach to take.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

If you cursor is inside the Layer Edges of any of the other Text Layers, the dashed line or squiggly line will not show because it has the cursor associated with another Text Layer
To avoid this, you can turn off the visibility of any nearby Text Layer and the Pen tool cursor should work as normal.

Okay so this was pretty much what I ended up doing as my "bodge-fix", so glad to know I was on the right track :)

To help with this I suggest you turn on the visibility of Layer Edges with the command View > Show > Layer Ediges
and then make sure View > Extras is enabled (will show a checkmark when enable

If you then click on a Text Layer you will see a bounding box around the X and Y limits of the Text that is Typed.

This I didn't know, but definitely helps!

Thank you John :)

Back