What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text SmoKe Effect

ApWizard

Hi,
that's my try for a Text SmoKe effect. Hope You like it :).

1) new document: 1000*500 72dpi
2) write your text (e.g. "SmoKe")
3) ctrl+click the text layer
4) hide the text layer and press Q (enter in quick mask mode)
5) apply gaussian blur (5px)
6) apply maximum (5px)
7) apply gaussian blur (3px)
8) filter -> distort -> ocean ripple (ripple size: 9 - ripple magnitude: 9)
9) ctrl+f and press Q to exit the quick mask mode
10) create a new layer and fill the seleciton with white and hide "layer1"
11) press Q to enter in quick mask mode
12) filter -> stylize -> glowing edges (edge width: 6 - edge brightness: 2 - smoothness: 13)
13) press Q to exit quick mask mode, add a new layer and fill with white, duplicate it (ctrl+j) and hide "layer2 copy"
14) activate "layer2" and blur it (5px) take the opacity down to 21%
15) right click on "layer2 copy" and duplicate layer in a new document
15b) fill the background with black and merge down
15c) filter -> distort -> polar coordinates (polar to rectangular) and rotate the images 90CW
15d) filter -> stylize -> wind (wind - from the right) apply it 3 times (3 times in total) and rotate the image 90CCW
15e) filter -> distort -> polar coordinates (rectangular to polar)
15f) shift drag in the original document
16) ctrl+click on "layer1"
17) ctrl+alt+d (feather: 3px), invert the selection (ctrl+shift+i) and hit canc, ctrl+d (deselect)
18) blur it (1px), disable the visibility of "layer2 copy", drag "layer3" under it
19) take the opacity down to 21%
20) ctrl+click "layer1", press Q to enter in quick mask mode
21) filter -> stylize -> glowing edges (edge witdh: 2 - edge brightness: 3 - smoothness: 14), press Q to exit quick mask mode
22) add a new layer and fill the selection with white, apply a 1px gaussian blur, deselect and take down the opacity to 45%

optional => 23) activate visibility oof "layer2 copy", blur it (3px), invert it (ctrl+i) and take down the opacity to 18%

Try different settings for filters, that's only an indicative way ;)

sweetness dude :perfect: I can see how I could use that in some of my work :B

Anytime I hide the layer it won't let me apply the gaussian blur or any of the filters even if I am in Quick mask mode? Why is this?

Again - Something new that I learned on this Forum - It never stops -

Thanks for the detailed explanation - You make it easy.

Back