What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text Tool Misbehaving

Dkornf

Suddenly when I type or paste text in using the text tool, it will not let me type in a return. All text either continues in one long line--or if it's pasted into the text tool it loops on top of itself. Does anyone know why the text tool would not accept a return? It works on my other machines. Is there some setting that I've accidently changed?

Thanks!
Diana

Welcome to the forum Dkornf! :)

I've never experienced your problem... perhaps someone else here has and can answer for you. Firstly, it would help to know what version of PS you are using. And, did you test various fonts? And, did you try closing the program and relaunching it again. [confused]

Welcome to the board Dkornf :perfect:

Maybe a silly question, but does the return key work in other programs?

You might also consider to reset Photoshop, by holding CTRL+Shift+Alt when you start the program. You do lose your settings in that case, but it's a good solution for various unexplainable problems.

Also, a good general troubleshooting step, if PS is the only program doing this to you, is to quit Photoshop, then move its preferences file out of where it is. Its location depends on your OS and the version of PS you're using. See this page on Adobe's site for the location for your version/OS.

Don't trash the file just yet. When you restart PS, it will create a new, fresh prefs file, but without your custom settings. If all is well, you can now throw the old one away. If this didn't solve your problem, you can always shove it back where it belongs.

Photoshop's prefs file is famous for getting corrupted. I keep a copy of what I know is a good one, with all my settings, so when it goes south, I can simply replace it with the good one.

Yes, good of you Julie to mention the fact that one can make a backup ;)

Thanks for the reminder, Julie! ;)

[stuned] And yep, now would be the time to make that backup copy... while all is working well! Thanks for that reminder, too, Erik!

And be sure to make a backup of the backup when you do replace a bad file! It, too can get corrupted.

(DISCLAIMER: The above tip is not for people smarter than me! :D )

that's odd applecider, how could a file all of a sudden corrupt? That's never happened to me [saywhat]

Alistair said:
that's odd applecider, how could a file all of a sudden corrupt?
What system are you using Alistair?
MicroPerfect 1.0 on a Perfect C model A? :rofl: :rofl:

Alistair said:
that's odd applecider, how could a file all of a sudden corrupt? That's never happened to me [saywhat]

hmmmmmm hasn't happened to you yet........... Backup backup he he he it will it does it's Microsoft! ha ha ha
sfm

Did you backup Sue? :p

:rofl: Don't you worry, almost everybody seems to "forget" :rofl:

I have now caus I have................... MickySoft! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What system are you using Alistair?
MicroPerfect 1.0 on a Perfect C model A?

:rofl: :rofl: Good one G-Man!

Now lest you not forget, Gaussian :) ... Alistair is one of those "lucky few" who hasn't experienced such idiosyncracies YET!

;) Alistair, word of advice... after you buy your lotto tickets ('cause you're on a winning streak), back up your PS preferences, as Julie has reminded us! [honesty]

:rofl: Sue... MickeySoft!

Back