What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The June Free For All

gare

Power User
The topic is textures; we use them in just about every app, and this month presents a challenge/opportunity to strut your prowess to the group and generate (or retrieve from your archives) some really good textures!

How about some conditions:

?Dont't post a preset, that is, create, scan, or draw a texture you can call your own. I know that PS and Xara ship with oodles of nifty fills, but we've been there, alright?

?Try to make the textures seamless, so they can tile when repeated. Part of the object this month is to swap textures; I'm always hungry to use fresh and new stuff myself.

?Try generating an alpha along with your texture to use as either a transparency or bump map. PS's Lighting Effects filter produces some terrific embossed work through reading a bump map.

To kick things off, here's a submission or three.

My Best,

Gare

p?tr?

Hi, p?tr??k---

Very nice tones! Okay, tiling requires that first the texture scene is lit evenly; you got a hot spot in your wood at upper right. Making the image tile seamlessly is then quite simple; you use the Filter>Other>Offset command, specify that Wrap Around is enabled, and then X and Y offset the sucker by about half the overall image dimensions.

Doing this will most likely put a "crease" in the center of your texture-what you need to do then is use the Clone Stamp tool to sample from contiguous areas, and clone into and away the crease.

Here's an example using a tonally smooth area of your wood texture. Oh, yeah...and get artistic when you clone; try to match up color areas in your texture.

;) :perfect:

My Best,

Gare

The June Free?For?All

OK, here are two tiling patterns. The first started with a scan of Zebrawood which I did sometime ago as part of a collection of wood scans. The second is just a vaguely 3D-esque bit of Photoshoppery.

sPECTre!!

I really like your "weave" texture! And the links you provided should encourage more entries this month, too! The zebrawood is nicely done; care to describe how you did it?

Here's an example of how a mask channel can help texture models. I created the basket weave in Aldus TextureMaker, and yes, my choice of models is inappropriate--try it on a basket or chair seat or something.

My Best,

Gare

The June Free?For?All

Hi Gare,

That Zebrawood tiling pattern was done in a Mac program called Texture Magic which has been around for at least 10 years. Here's a screen shot in which I've just pasted a selection from my original scan. The actual paste is inside the lines which extend inward from the edges of the window. They allow you to see how the tiling is working on all edges. Then you use the clone tool to manipulate the image until it tiles properly. It's very simple and extremely handy but the program is a throwback to yesteryear although it was updated for OS X. It still uses PICTs as the format of choice.

The June Free?For?All

While we're at it. Many of AlienSkin's plugs have options for tiling patterns. Here are two. The buttons one is from Splat. The rock wall is from EyeCandy 5: Textures > Stone Wall.

Ahhh, Alien Skin!

Nice rock wall, Welles! :perfect:

I'd never heard of the texture program for the Mac, but Alien Skin 5000 sure looks interesting. About ten years ago, Virtus (a liesure service of director John Cameron) gifted me with a nifty Mac program that they bought from Alien Skin: Textureshop. Unfortunately, it won't run under Tiger, but I still have OS 8 running on my PPC.

It's very theraputic, Textureshop is; I can mutate for hours on end. They're procedural textures, nothing real world, but as fractals, you can zoom and scale variations.

My Best,

Gare

Happy Father's Day!

If you're a dad, or you have a dad, today's your day! I'm using the textures thread, 'cause I used a texture for everyone's card!

My Best,

Gare

The June Free?For?All

Right back at ya! Happy Fathers Day 8}

The Envelope, Please!

p?tr??k and Welles were the only folks to rise to the textures challenge, but...

Welles, you take First Prize for Most Work (most submissions), Best How-To, and I really like your cracked earth and caming textures.

p?tr??k, I liked your wood, tiling or not. Can I use it to texture a model of mine?

Thanks for contributing, folks! :perfect: 8)) :perfect: 8)) :perfect: 8D

My Best,
Gare

Back