What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ken Burns Effect...in 3D

Doc

I don't know if Ken Burns was the first to use these Effects (pan and zoom) but he certainly popularized them in his documentary, "The Civil War". Lately, I've been seeing what I would call 'perspective' pan and zoom (hey, I watch The History Channel a lot). These effects might pan but with the objects in the foreground moving at a different rate than the objects in the background giving it the perspective of distance. The effect might also zoom in past an object in the foreground to reveal all of the background objects.

I've been facinated with these effects and wanted to see if I could do the same. My first rough attempt is a zoom past the foreground subject to view the background. The foreground is a still image with transparent background on an overlay that pans to the right while the background image zooms in to the object I wanted to be the main focus.

Here's a short video with my rough effort to date. It's about 3mb is size and runs for 55 seconds. Comments are welcome.

Taps

Ah, Doc, I think I know what your talking about. The video was great and helps to illustrate the technique. I also notice that this technique is used in cartoons to give depth and 3D-ness -- good when your animating. ;)

Here's an improved version of my "Taps" clip. This one plays within a picture frame on a table top...the tricky part was in the reflection.

Reflections

Back