What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Third Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest

gare

Power User
We had a lot of fun the past two years designing Jack-o-Lantern faces using Xara, Photoshop, and even some modeling apps to design that perrenial favorite, so here it is again.

Use the photo below, or your own, and virtually carve away (and save the seeds for roasting).

To get started, there's a wonderful free pumpkin face truetype font at:

http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/fonts2.htm
Time's a wastin'; get out your Smashing Pumpkins CD to get in the mood, and eat some candy you swore you'd save for the trick or treaters!

My Best,

Gare

gare

Power User
Welles :perfect:...is that your photo?

Nikkie--verrry spooky, verry punk. A punk punkin! 8}

-g-

gare

Power User
Trick or treat!

I cobbled a Painter nozzle for the occasion--I have no idea how to do a Mac Painter nozzle, but this Windows one works in Painter v. 6 and later.

I scanned some vintage (from the 60s, not stale) candy I bought at a bulk candy store, the put the stuff on layers in PS. Then I opened the psd file in Painter, Shift+clicked on the layer titles, then clicked Group. I chose Make Nozzle from Group on the Nozzles palette's fly-out, then saved to RIF file format.

The nozzle file's too large to post, so I put it up on OurMedia, a great site for archiving your precious stuff for posterity--there's no expiration date, and it's free.

Go to http://www.ourmedia.org/node/79159; you don't need to log in. Click the link to full size image, and the nozzle will download. In Painter, choose Load Nozzle from the Nozzle palette's flyout, and paint away!

Remember Turkish Taffy? They'd pull your fillings out. And the black Necco wafers I think were made out of chimney soot, and you could gross out your parents by sticking out your tongue. The pastel dots on a cash register strip of paper had both taste and roughage. And naturally Pixie sticks provided quick energy and possibly diabetes for making the neighborhood rounds, with your kid brother's sack, because he was home sick with measles.

My Best,

Gare

gare

Power User
lasa!

Hi lasa! Thanks for carving for us all!

I love the teeth...they're perfect (no trick or treat candy, I guess). Did Jack O. Lantern go to a vege-orthodontist? 8}

My Best,

Gare

Welles

Guru
:D 8D :D 8D :D

Thanks for my early morning laugh!

(psst...Mr. Cabbage you have a piece of spinach in your teeth)

Nikkie

Power User
:sneaky: :shocked: :rofl:

OK it's almost Halloween so.. i've got a request for all of you guys in the USA....
my sister has been in the us recently and she brought me some candy and now i am hooked to the
TRADER JOE'S JAVA DROPLETS .... :shocked:and worse.... i am running out of candy !!!!!

Please, please let someone send me a HUGE bag of this stuff.... 8} %}

TIA....

Nikkie

gare

Power User
Nikkie

Nikster--Did you successfully used the candy nozzle I uploaded, or is that your own collage work?? Nice composition :perfect: :perfect: :perfect:

So...
1.) What the devil are Java Droplets??? I've never seen them in supermarkets here; do you mean "Java Applets"? In that case, I think they're sugar-free, run slower than natively compiled candy, and I have to kiss Scott McNealey's behind to distribute them.

2.) What's your shipping address? And you'll split the postage, right?

-g-

Welles

Guru
Trader Joe's is a? grocery store chain which started in L.A. in 1958 (?) and now has spread to 19 states. Rather than dealing with heavily advertised goods, the chain has people who go around the world and send products back for tasting by their own people. After selection, they will buy up the entire production run or crop for cash and have it packaged with their own label. The end result is good to great products you won't find anywhere else and much lower prices. Since TJ's came to Santa Cruz and I started shopping there my weekly grocery bill is from 1/4 to 1/3 less than it used to be.

I'd be glad to check for Nikkie's favorites the next time I get to town but that is very irregularly lately. It won't be for a week or more that I next get to town.

gare

Power User
But that would be after Halloween, Welles..

Does TJ's have coal for Nikkie's Christmas hosiery?

8}

gare

Power User
Aldi

Welles ;)

My spouse tells me Trader Joe's was started by these two German guys, and although Liverpool, NY is in the backwash of civilization, we don't have one yet, but the guys also own and run the Aldi food chain which are peppered throughout our hamlet.

Good concept, good execution!

Welles

Guru
Um, dare I say, I think your spouse may be mistaken? (Of course there may be another Trader Joe's in the universe)

http://www.traderjoes.com/about/index.asp

In the brief history a little bit down the page, Joe Coulombe was the founder... I have friends in LA who knew him so that part of the story is real, I'm pretty sure...

gare

Power User
Welles

Well, Barbara also told me that OS/2 was going to be the next big thing, and that televisions work because there are little people inside, so your evidence appears to be right [saywhat]

My Best,
Sleeping on the couch tonight for this remark,

Gary

Nikkie

Power User
i'd say the good old anthracite will do :p 8} [shhh]

and though i didn't start THIS fire... i am so sorry Gare...
though i am quite sure this isn't the first time :sneaky:

Welles and Gare much appreciate the offer i'll PM the adress...

BTW Gare your spouse is right there are little men inside your TV....

Nikkie

gare

Power User
Happy Halloween

There's no sound in an animated gif, so imagine Jack is saying "Happy Halloween".

It's rushed and flawed. I used Maya for the p'kin, Poser for the lip synch (the phonemes expressions), then merged them in ImageReady. 25 frames in <100K ain't bad.

Gotta scare up dinner now,

Gare