What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D the Wings3D thread....

now, right click and "Move>Normal" and move you hand slightly to the left until you end up with the shape looking something like this...

Play around a bit to get just the shape you think would look cool as a human assist electric powered vehicle... just remember that move normal means things will move along the direction the face/edge/vert is facing... if it is on an angle it will move along that angle unless you have otherwise chosen to move along an axis direction.... I am going to now clunk out this shape a bit more... in the mean time let's see some of you box out this shape... :perfect:

well, I played around with that shape some and this is what I got thus far... and I don't really like it, so... back to the drawing board... :D

This human assist type vehicle is pretty hard to get onto a shape which is aero dynamic while lending to also being the right dimensions... hmmm, maybe why there are not that many of these yet... key word here... yet :D

I will try again... you too :)

and thnx Mark, for straightening out my user name stuff... phew

and in the mean time, check out this latest doodle...

this first shot is in the second level of divide, with just enough poly's from the divided form structure to be able to extrude away and add stuff...

and by just hitting that shift/tab shortcut, you get a smoothed rendition in subd preview mode... hit the shortcut keys again and you ar back to the boxy mode above... very way cool feature I would say :D

still alot of work to go, but... yea, this is just perhaps to demonstrate some of what makes Wings3D such a powerful little modeling app to have use of...

and just hit the "tab" key from there and voila, you are in subd modeling mode... so details boxed out in regular workmode, a sneak peak via shift/tab, and then tab to go into subd workmode for say moving stuff around on axis doing those tweaks... get as close as ya need, then back into regular workmode to add some more stuff... :)

I used Wings 3D a year ago. Good modeling tool, although it lacks nurbs. Good for stills only.

Nice for a few months but then one has to make the leap to a professional program.

Great tutorial, but why posting it on a Photoshop forum? [confused]

haha, too funny... where to begin...

first off, yet another pic of said model... I have added a cable onto the arm...

the shot is yet another example of how handy that subd preview mode is when ya mix in transparent colors using your outliner window and setting things up... in your normal work mode everything will be solid, but click over to preview and voila... great for alligning parts and what ever...

Great tutorial, but why posting it on a Photoshop forum?

Um... because this is "The Other Interests" forum... eh... :D and... as thing go in 3D... sooner or later all good things hit a prost production stage... at which time things become very relevent to those using PS... :D and... it goes without saying that many who enjoy working with products such as PS also enjoy doing other things to create more work to do in PS.... [confused] :rofl: :rofl:

as for questions regarding the seriousnees of how good Wings3D really is... just look at the last pic That is some pretty cool preview tool... ;)

Oh, I see. Well, keep up the good work, it's guys like you who we need a lot more! :perfect:

gidgie - you got me started on this program and I hit a glitch right away - or maybe I'm just stupid

take a cube and left click onto and select opposite end faces... when they are selected they should be red in color....

OK I can select one face - but can't find anything that says select opposite faces - or do i have to turn the thing around and select the other end manually? [confused] [confused]

Hi Rick... yup, you would select them manually, that's why a dolly cam should be on the middle mouse wheel button as in the case of wings here.... your hand is already there, just click and turn, do something click and turn... same as in pottery :D

ya know... you can go up into Window> New Geometry Window... resize it smaller and stick it up or down along the side...

now select your front face of the cube in this smaller window, then rotate the cube around until you have the other side showing... leave thing like this, and select the side... you can now click from both sides, one in each window... bit of work to set up, but... do it once and then work with it from there :) Personaly I don't really bother, since the middle mouse rotate in 3d dolly cam is always closer just to turn than it is to cross screen travel to select within a smaller window... ;)

Thanks gidget - that is what I have done. Boy though I don't know how you do it - It looks good on the screen and then when I render it is looks terrable [confused]

Another question - in order to create any detail i need more polys so how do I subdivide?

Rick

ok, subdivide... just select the object and hit "s" which is smooth command in Wings, which is subdivide...

try not to subdivide a local area other than to use say inset on whole quad faces, and perhap doing a bevel along a whole loop...

do the whole model instead, and use these stages to add your boxy extrusions, thus bulding with blocks...

you can also cut and connect by selecting an edge or ring etc, then hitting say "2 or 3 or four etc..." and then "c" ...

jumping right ahead here, I started to create a bot last week... and here's what I have thus far... this was modeled in Wings3d and... move over trueSpace, as this was rendered in Carrara Studio 2... going to spend some more time testing out some animation quickly with this model at this stage, to see how everything does, and what to add, and perhaps what to toss... damn, how I wish I could have all of my favorite tools from various apps, all in one ....... :D [confused] [confused] :rofl:

:D I like your i-bot gidgit!

and... a couple of fish I am currently doodling with... no scene, or textures even... just some model Wip's...

Hey Chester... feel free to give C&C and or otherwise rip apart my modeling here ... go for it... let's see how well you know poly modeling... Where are the good areas, and the not so good areas... or are there any of either... haha, I dunno... let's see what the professional armchair critic has to say...

My pleasure! :D

But why would I rip your modeling apart? I never did that in any thread.

Comments? i think its a good model, serious. What else do you want me to say? but until its textured and placed in an environment its nothing but a model... a wip like we use to say.
youre moving in the right direction. are you going to finish it or not?
its just that it feels sometimes that a lot of 3d art is wip and stays wip. funny, you see that less often in 2d art.

Back