What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tiled images

Mike Read

There is a particular effect I like doing with photoshop for images with a dark background:

Primary colour: dark blue, somewhere in the region of #0000d0
Secondary colour: black

Filter > Render > Clouds
Filter > Render > Difference Clouds
Ctrl + F until a fairly even spread across the canvas
Filter > Stylize > Glowing Edges (with default parameters)

Now, my problem is this, I want to use this effect as a repeating background on a webpage, however, I can't get the effect to appear smooth when tiled unless I mirror both sides (with lots of copy/paste/flip/resizing in MS Paint), and I find that doing so makes it less pleasing along the lines where it's mirrored.

So, is it possible to have a smooth tiled effect without mirroring the image with something randomly generated like this? And if so, how is it done?

Cheers,
Mike

I can't get the effect to appear smooth when tiled unless I mirror both sides (with lots of copy/paste/flip/resizing in MS Paint)

Why use MS Paint when you have Photoshop... that doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, to make them tile, you need to use Filter / Other / Offset... to see the edges and hide them with the clone tool or any other tools. Save the file and you're done.

I know the shortcut keys, and my PC isn't very powerful at all so it goes a bit quicker

First of all, I don't see what it is that MS Paint does so much quicker than Photoshop. All MS Paint has is VERY basic tools, the same basic tools that run just as fast in Photoshop, even on an old Pentium computer.

Secondly, "speed" is something very relative. To give you an example; using a clone stamp tool with a large brush size on a slow machine might be slow, but it's a LOT faster than trying to clone without any clone tool in MS Paint.

Other example; Photoshop uses layers and non-destructive tools and that might run slow on your computer, but they sure save you a lot of time compared to the destructive nature of MS Paint where basically everything has to be right from the start.

Mmm, when I have learnt the shortcut keys I daresay it will save me time, and perhaps a few headaches in future, though over long years of having nothing but paint and powerpoint for graphics development I've gotten in the habbit of editing a copy.

By mirror, I mean the whole image duplicated, but opposite for both axes, so:

ctrl/A > ctrl/C > esc > ctrl/E > (double width value -1) > ctrl/R > enter > ctrl/V > ctrl/A > ctrl/C > esc > ctrl/E > (double height value -1) > ctrl/R > down > enter > ctrl/V

Takes very little time if your fingers are used to doing it.

Though I do agree with most points you raised in this post, I am curious as to why you came back to this thread to bite at me.

lol get use to it, JL's thread side manor is long and harsh but he means well.

I am curious as to why you came back to this thread to bite at me.

And I am just curious why you claim that you use illegal software, but at the same time are desperately trying to convince the whole world that there is nothing wrong with using a product for which you didn't pay. ;)

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, and I understand that it's not truly acceptable, I just felt the need to reply to your comments :) I did enjoy our debate by the way, it's not often I get to argue so in depth about something where I have such a strong view ^^

Back