What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tip: what helps you work easier and faster without block

Alistair

Guru
I've done some expierimenting with diffrent things to see what makes me supposably makes me work faster, or have more ideas. You know how sometimes you just can't think of anything to image, or anything you do looks wrong? Well, with expierience i've found out music is the best thing to aid you. When I do my artwork, I always listen to expierimentive music : such as the boards of canada, the chemical brothers, various dj's, and stuff like radiohead. For some reason it always boosts my artwork ability. What do others think about this?

Music helps a lot to create a mood depending on one's scenario. Music selection depends on the character. Some designers prefer rock, others like me prefer jazz.

That's why in our office, there's a rock and jazz section. All the boss can do is shake his head :rofl: . Coz he prefers the likes of Frank, Bing, Andy, Matt, etc.

vee

;) I must agree that "music" does,indeed, touch the soul and fuel the creative juices. Personal choice is another matter and so "mood" dependent! :)

music not only helps me with my artwork but also with my school work and stuff :) I'm actually veryt open to music (just like my brother), since I listen to techno, expierimentive, jazz, classical, ambicient, and along the lines of that.

I do love music and, dependant on the stage of work I'm doing, I change. I'm really an omnivore if I find a soul in the music, be it classical, techno, psychedelic, electronic, gothic, heavy metal,...but most of all I'm in love with the music of pure silence. Just like a white sheet of paper it is full of possibilities, open, undetermined, lovable, joyous, inviting, attractive...
When, I really create, I either don't hear anything anymore, or if I do, I have to put it off.
No better way to refill the batteries than by being silent for a whole day.

I will be honest music does it yes, very soft lights yes, but the KEY is this

"One good drink" - Tequilla shot something =)

Might sound odd but I am a bit more free minded when I do. When I am seroiusly stuck on something I take a drink (maybe game for half an hour) come back to it and spend a few hours desiging.

Almost 99% of the time it works

And to answer the obvious question no I am not an alcholic or 1 drink wouldn't do it [slick]

Music and keyboard shortcuts

If I'm not writing, then just about any music with a beat helps the pace of my work.

When writing, Bach is good because of the very strict, almost mathematical tempo.

But regardless of music, knowing most of Photoshop's keyboard shortcuts reduces waits and tedium.

Now if only Adobe would keep the same keyboard shortcuts from version to version! [confused]

Gare

If I'm doing something that requires heavy brain cell usage I play music that has no lyrics. Probably something from the Windham Hill artists.

If I'm just crunching away and it doesn't require much thought then lyrics in the music is fine. Possibly dust off an old Van der Graaf Generator album or something.

Right now I'm listening to resistance's theme music in the background. (Very dramatic)

Rich

You can thank Edgen Animation for that one... Something about that soundtrack on my site (called Vega) that really inspired me. I created my site listening to it so I had to post it.

Edgen has tons of free MP3s www.mp3.com do a search for Edgen

Music helps me do house work.

When sitting at the computer, I usually listen to the TV. Most of the time either Comedy Central or Cartoon Network.

I also like absolute silence. The only sound I want to here is my finger tips tapping on the keyboard.

Thanks Resistance! I just d/l a bunch of Edgens free stuff and am listening as I type. Haven't enjoyed this type of music since Tangerine Dream. :)

Rich

Gare, about those keyboard shortcuts, I sware I found some option were you can costomize every keyboard shortcut to any key you want.

Hey, Gare, just an idea for fun: why not post one typical action in Photoshop an its evolution in keyboard shortcuts?

Bach is indeed sometimes very good, but sometimes he just can't stop and then he turns me into some kind of Dracula (hanging from the ceiling with the nails of my hands and feet). I love Beethoven's quartets because of their purposeness. You get caught into a stream of nononsense straight-to-the goal creativity and that's good while turning initial ideas (silence!) into a more final sketch. Then comes the explosion o creativity, and that can bring all kinds of music with it.
I even have a few cd's of concerts of tropical birds that I often play...and then I have my own guitar...new Martins strings on it...nothing compares to that...

I always have some kind of music in the background when I'm working at the computer. I love Celtic and Medieval music, some Classical, particularly Beethhoven, showtunes and some movie background music. Granted, sometimes I get so lost in Photoshop, ImageReady, LiveMotion, and GoLive that I don't really "hear" the music consciously, but I think it still helps when I'm about to tear my hair out!

Is it just sometimes music and sometimes silence that help us work better, or am I missing something?

Is it just sometimes music and sometimes silence that help us work better, or am I missing something?
[confused] Well, for me, it's a bit of both, Alistair... I'll start off with "music" playing in the background (inspirational to a large extent) but then when I really "get going" on a project or a design, I find that (like Julie) the music sorta disappears and becomes "white noise" to a large extent... and then, depending on the progress of my work/concentration... the "white noise" fades in and out as I become more or less receptive to it. ;\

Jazz definately Jazz, Even when I'm playing in chess tournaments its easy to pick me out of the crowd, I'm the one with the headset on! I find it helps get my creative juices flowing and when I'm in the zone it tends to become white noise as well.

I always have music going, where ever I maybe, usually at the computer

Its always good to be able to humm to your favourite toons when you have brain block :S

Jynx

Back