What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tool change mystery

Lee Olson

I was just working on an image in Ps and the tool I was using changed to a small plus sign. Then I noticed all my tools now look like a plus sign. What did I accidentally do and how do I correct it?

Thanks

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What tool were you using?

Check your preferences.....
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 1.11.44 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What tool were you using and can you provide a screen shot?

Is your CAPS LOCK on?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you using macOS Sierra by chance? Are you using a Wacom tablet?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Using a computer, not a tablet.
A Wacom tablet is a graphics Pen and Tablet that you would use in addition to your computer. They have been know to cause this issue.

Have you tried restarting your computer and resetting Photoshop's preferences?

Lee Olson

I know what a Wacom tablet is, Sam, I just have a habit of calling them a tablet. Sorry.

I turn my computer off at night so it's been restarted with no effect on the problem. I just tried resetting Ps's prefs. No help there either.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is so baffling and does not make any sense. If it's not the OS (Sierra is the usual culprit), not a preference change, not the CAPS LOCK key, not a Wacom tablet. Computer restart does not help or resetting Ps prefs..........like this........

Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).
Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

..........................the only other thing I can suggest at this point is for you to uninstall Ps and do a clean install.

Lee Olson

Somehow when I find the answer I'll post the solution so that others who have the same problem can fix it.

Lee Olson

The mystery continues... I finally gave up looking for the reason many of my tools looked like a small + sign. Then as fast as it came it went away. Was working on Ps last night and all of a sudden my tools went back to working normally. Go figure??? I have no idea why.