What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transitioning from an Old Version of Photoshop to CC

cdirkes

Hi there,

I have several questions due to transitioning from an old version of photoshop into Creative Cloud, in which things do not work the same as they used to work.

1. I have a template of three panels and a lettering guide for an online comic strip (on a separate layer so I can make it disappear).

When I bring up the template, and enlarge it to 22% or 33% (the sizes I like to draw in) it somehow
morphs into two different pieces and the boxes move around while the toolbar does not.

QUESTION: Is there a way to lock them together so that they move as one? (Which they did in the old version).

2. The LASSO is also very annoying now. It used to be that you could lasso something and drag it someplace else
(as long as you were on the same layer). Now sometimes it will not drag - how to make it drag?

3. Also, sometimes using the Lasso it will “Lock” two layers together. I want to stop it from locking layers together.

4. The Transform also seems clunkier. I can no longer enlarge something and keep it in the same proportion like I
could the old way. How do you use Transform so that you can enlarge something and keep it the exact proportion.

5. The TEXT is causing new problems but the old version was problematic too. It seems like
it gets “locked” and unable to change proportions without deleting the layer and starting all over again. Help?

6. The “Copy” and “Paste” work differently too. It used to be you could “copy” something and the new copy would appear
on a new layer that you could easily drag. Now there is a problem dragging the new thing that just got “pasted”.

7. The “HAND” graphic pops up sometimes when I’m trying to use the pen - I want to get rid of the “hand” feature, I
never use it.

8. In the old version I could produce Vertical and Horizontal Lines that I could use the “snap” feature on and trace
straight horizontal and vertical lines. Now I can’t make those guide lines appear.

9. If I shade something, and take my pen off the spot (using a Wacom tablet), then put the pen back down, it makes the shade darker.
In the old version I could shade something and it would stay the same color even if I lifted and put back down the
pen tip.
I want to be able to do that again.

9. Pop up videos sometimes appear when I’m trying to select a tool - how do I get rid of those?

Answers to any or a few of these questions would be so helpful!

You haven't mentioned what Photoshop version you were using earlier and what is your current photoshop version and you are on mac or windows?
but if i assume you are using the latest Photoshop CC 2020 and using windows.
1. I have a template of three panels and a lettering guide for an online comic strip (on a separate layer so I can make it disappear).
When I bring up the template, and enlarge it to 22% or 33% (the sizes I like to draw in) it somehow
morphs into two different pieces and the boxes move around while the toolbar does not.
QUESTION: Is there a way to lock them together so that they move as one? (Which they did in the old version).
Hold ctrl and click on the layers you want to resize. make sure "Automatically select layers" is turned off (when using move tool this option should be 2nd in menu bar) and with move tool (V) resize it.
2. The LASSO is also very annoying now. It used to be that you could lasso something and drag it someplace else
(as long as you were on the same layer). Now sometimes it will not drag - how to make it drag?
Make selection with lasso, And select Move tool from tool bar (top most option) or hit V key on your keyboard and drag and move. ( then hit Ctrl+D to deselect)
3. Also, sometimes using the Lasso it will “Lock” two layers together. I want to stop it from locking layers together.
Im not sure what do you mean by locking layers together but as in question 1 disabling auto select layers should solve your problem.
4. The Transform also seems clunkier. I can no longer enlarge something and keep it in the same proportion like I
could the old way. How do you use Transform so that you can enlarge something and keep it the exact proportion.
Transform or Move tool functionality has been redefined in latest photoshop version, now you dont have to hold shift to keep aspect ratio when resizing.
So if you are holding shift or alt while resizing than dont, just select object with move tool hold the corner and click and drag.
5. The TEXT is causing new problems but the old version was problematic too. It seems like
it gets “locked” and unable to change proportions without deleting the layer and starting all over again. Help?
To change text properties you either have to first select whole text with Type tool (While using type tool click on your text to get in edit mode and select all text with (Ctrl+A))
Second option is deselect everything (Ctrl+D) than select move tool (V) go to "Character panel" and make your changes.
6. The “Copy” and “Paste” work differently too. It used to be you could “copy” something and the new copy would appear
on a new layer that you could easily drag. Now there is a problem dragging the new thing that just got “pasted”.
If you want to make a copy of something select it with Marquee tool and hit (Ctrl+J) and it will copy your selection on a new layer
7. The “HAND” graphic pops up sometimes when I’m trying to use the pen - I want to get rid of the “hand” feature, I
never use it.
Im not sure if there is a way to disable hand tool. But in Photoshop while using any tool if you press Space bar the hand tool will appear and it lets you quickly move around canvas.
So try not to press spacebar and it will not appear.
8. In the old version I could produce Vertical and Horizontal Lines that I could use the “snap” feature on and trace
straight horizontal and vertical lines. Now I can’t make those guide lines appear.
This video should guide you on how to make guides
How To Type In a Circle In Photoshop - Text In a Circular Path Tutorial - Youtube
9. If I shade something, and take my pen off the spot (using a Wacom tablet), then put the pen back down, it makes the shade darker.
In the old version I could shade something and it would stay the same color even if I lifted and put back down the pen tip. I want to be able to do that again.
I dont know how it used to work on older version of photoshop but this is the default behavior of brush tool since i begun using ps.
But this depends on what type of brush you are using, photoshop have new wet media brushes which acts like you are painting with real watercolor brush on a paper. so make sure you are using correct type of brush. It also depends on your brush Opacity, hardness, flow and smoothness so try changing those.
10. Pop up videos sometimes appear when I’m trying to select a tool - how do I get rid of those?
Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Tools and turn off "Show Rich Tooltips"

I know it is hard to understand all this just by reading, so i'll suggest you take help of youtube.
And i hope i was able to answer if not all but some of your questions correctly.

You haven't mentioned what Photoshop version you were using earlier and what is your current photoshop version and you are on mac or windows?
but if i assume you are using the latest Photoshop CC 2020 and using windows....

This was incredibly helpful and exactly what I needed. Thank you!

Back