What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transparent Tape upload issue

Alexandria

he.JPG

I got these transparent tapes and when I put them on the skin template, they look "fine". When I actually save as .png, then upload, they look like "b.png" on the actual avatar's skin. What am I doing wrong please?

Hi @Alexandria
I may not follow exactly what you are doing yet when you save as PNG there is usually an option box that must be checked to enable saving with transparency.
Any chance that could be the issue.
John Wheeler

When I put on the skin template, it shows "passthrough". I then delete the skin template and save as .png, that's when the above happens
x.JPG

Hi @Alexandria
Thanks for the extra detail with the screen shot.
Unfortunately that is not enough information to determine why it is not a transparent PNG.
To accelerate the debug process, can you attach to final saved PNG in a following reply. It would be also very help if possible to share the entire PSD file exactly at the point when you created the PNG file (or a cropped version of it)
I believe that would really help determine what is going on.
Just my recommendation
John Wheeler

I didn't make these tapes but with the other band aids, it is the same process ... I drop them on to the skin template, delete the skin, save as .png, bring into game and place them on avatar.

Transparent Bandaids copy.png

Hi Alexandria
I have figured out your problem.
As it turns out the transparent tape/bandaid that is in the "Group 10" Layer has a series of component Layers that use various blend modes such as Screen, Multiply, and Color Dodge. With the "PassThrough" blend in the overall group, it means that the Blends of those Layers are operating on the image objects. It is only operating using transparency in a relatively minor way.
Unfortunately, when one saves "Group 10" by itself to a single Layer PNG file, the details of all those blends are lost.

The easiest solution is to put your desired image or image Layers below Group 10, position and or mask Group 10 as needed and it should work correctly. Images of most file types including PSD files can be included into the Layer Stack of another file by selecting the Layer above which you want the file embedded and using the
File > Place Embedded command.

I hope this helps and if any clarification (e.g. step by step screen shots) is needed just ask away and I will respond.
John Wheeler

Ok, I am afraid I do not understand "put your desired image or image Layers below Group 10". This entire tape bit is made of 24 layers, do you mean take them out of the group? Lost on the rest of the explanation, sorry :(
pl.JPG

I drop them on to the skin template, delete the skin, save as .png, bring into game and place them on avatar.
My question would be, when you place the PNG on the avatar (in the game), is it always going to the same exact place that it was on the skin template in Photoshop? If so, there is a possible workaround.

Second question, does the game platform support a multilayered file such as PSD or PSB (smart object)???

Hi @Alexandria
Here are the step by steps to help better understand how to put the transparent tape onto an image.

First, if I eliminate all Layers but the Group Ten Layer here is how it will appear on the screen:

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 10.45.52 AM.jpg

Now I am going to add the image or avatar onto the Layer Stack using File > Place Embedded (I chose an image online that similar to a character from the Avatar movie yet you can do this with any image. Initially the image is on the Layer above Group 10

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 10.48.21 AM.jpg

Then, on the Layer Panel, I click and drag the image Layer to be below the Group 10 Layer. This is the location for your image to make the Group 10 Layer work correctly.

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 10.48.38 AM.jpg

At this point, I want to resize the avatar so I click on that Layer in the Layer Panel and use the keyboard shortcut Command + T on a Mac or Cntrl + T on a PC. This will bring up the click and drag points for resizing. While holding the Shift/Enter key, I click and drag any one of the control points to resize as desired. Sometimes you have to drag outside the image frame to make it the size you may want:

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 10.53.30 AM.jpg

I accept the transformation (checkbox in the top panel)

Now I select the Layers 10 Layer, use the Cmd+T keyboard shortcut to edit the location of the Layer Group 10, and click and drag it to the location I want. You can optionally also rotate or resize at this point yet I did not do that. If you want to maintain proportions of the "tape" just hold the Shift Key when transforming the Layer Group 10

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 10.54.43 AM.jpg
Now I just accept the transformation by clicking on the checkmark in the menu bar.

The final image is a zoomed in view of the avatar image on the bottom Layer and the Group 10 Layer above it:

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 10.55.23 AM.jpg

At this point, you can save the image into any format you want and it will capture the transparent tape effect.
If there are any more questions just ask for clarification
John Wheeler

My question would be, when you place the PNG on the avatar (in the game), is it always going to the same exact place that it was on the skin template in Photoshop? If so, there is a possible workaround.
Yes

Hi @Alexandria
Here are the step by steps to help better understand how to put the transparent tape onto an image.

First, if I eliminate all Layers but the Group Ten Layer here is how it will appear on the screen:

View attachment 139374

Now I am going to add the image or avatar onto the Layer Stack using File > Place Embedded (I chose an image online that similar to a character from the Avatar movie yet you can do this with any image. Initially the image is on the Layer above Group 10

View attachment 139375

Then, on the Layer Panel, I click and drag the image Layer to be below the Group 10 Layer. This is the location for your image to make the Group 10 Layer work correctly.

View attachment 139376

At this point, I want to resize the avatar so I click on that Layer in the Layer Panel and use the keyboard shortcut Command + T on a Mac or Cntrl + T on a PC. This will bring up the click and drag points for resizing. While holding the Shift/Enter key, I click and drag any one of the control points to resize as desired. Sometimes you have to drag outside the image frame to make it the size you may want:

View attachment 139380

I accept the transformation (checkbox in the top panel)

Now I select the Layers 10 Layer, use the Cmd+T keyboard shortcut to edit the location of the Layer Group 10, and click and drag it to the location I want. You can optionally also rotate or resize at this point yet I did not do that. If you want to maintain proportions of the "tape" just hold the Shift Key when transforming the Layer Group 10

View attachment 139378
Now I just accept the transformation by clicking on the checkmark in the menu bar.

The final image is a zoomed in view of the avatar image on the bottom Layer and the Group 10 Layer above it:

View attachment 139379

At this point, you can save the image into any format you want and it will capture the transparent tape effect.
If there are any more questions just ask for clarification
John Wheeler
I understood that all very well, the only problem is: I CANNOT bring in the "blue skin" image, I can only bring in the "bandaid" hence png. The skin template I use is just a map to know where to place things like tattoos, bandaids, wounds etc. The avatars in the game already have their skins and what not :)

As I understand your request, you can only use a PNG file. The transparent tape package you purchased does not allow the creation of a the PNG file that will work. A PNG will not support the complex set layers and blend modes.
I will try and see if there is a way to add some PS adjustments to change the results from your PSD file to just an image and transparency which can be saved in a PNG.
Not sure when I can get to that yet unlikely it can be today.
Other forum members may have an answer and reply before me.

Because your transparent band-aids are actually a complicated group of many layers, they cannot be saved as a transparent PNG to be imported into your game. But here's a possible work-around:

In Photoshop, you have already gotten this far, placing your Band-Aid group above the Skin Template layer. From here, make a selection of this Band-Aid, along with the underlying skin showing through, and then save that as its own jpeg (or any file type compatible with your game).

1692587627472.jpeg

I made this selection from your image and carefully masked it so that no extra skin extends out beyond the edges of the band-aid.
Then, I was able to paste it onto a completely different "skin" layer (see below).
As long as the skin color you're using in Photoshop is similar to the skin color in your game, there shouldn't be much of a difference doing it this way.

1692588405942.png

1692588787634.png

I made this selection from your image and carefully masked it so that no extra skin extends out beyond the edges of the band-aid.
Yes.........this was my workaround as well.

In Ps, I positioned the transparent tape........
Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 10.51.57 PM.png

I selected the skin layer.
Made a selection around the tape...
Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 10.52.13 PM.png

Then turned off the transparent tape layer.
I Then Cmd/Cntrl + J copied the selection of the skin to it's own layer.
Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 10.56.51 PM.png

Place this copy below the transparent tape layer(s)
Turn back on the transparent tape layer(s),
Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 10.52.36 PM.png

Select the uppermost tape layer then hit Shift Option/Alt + Command/Control + E
This new layer can be saved as a PNG and then uploaded to the game.
As long as the tape is in the same position it should work...............the only problem I see may be a color variation.

Skin
Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 11.08.18 PM.png

Tape PNG
Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 11.08.33 PM.png

Tape on skin in game
Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 11.08.44 PM.png

Unfortunately I cannot do it with the skin part underneath because 1. it has to go on 1000's different skin tones and 2. it has to be like a bandaid over blood and wounds and cuts :( All those enhancements like wounds, blood, cuts, scratches, scrapes can be bought separately, hence this "option" would not work.

Unfortunately I cannot do it with the skin part underneath because 1. it has to go on 1000's different skin tones and 2. it has to be like a bandaid over blood and wounds and cuts :( All those enhancements like wounds, blood, cuts, scratches, scrapes can be bought separately, hence this "option" would not work.
Hi @Alexandria
Hang in there. I am still working to see if I can create a PNG equivalent.

You may have to go back to creating your own transparent tape like we did HERE.

Also, you have used the term bandaid several times, there is a big difference between the two, primarily a bandaid would be opaque and would solve your problem. I've never seen where transparent tape was used on a wound other than to hold down a gauze dressing of some type.

istockphoto-612719876-612x612.jpg

Guess I am using game terminology, Band aids, plasters, tapes, all search words for those looking to buy on the game's marketplace. On the other hand, I have in real life, transparent band aids and transparent bandages even (heals scars) :)

Back