What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Troll Editing!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's been a long standing rule here at PSG that troll editing is not allowed. The staff from long ago felt it was not right to make fun of a member who was genuinely here for a legitimate edit. And I don't feel we should change this policy.

However, I have been a huge fan of James Fridman, Site. I remember back when he first started he was a genuine troll who was banned every time he troll posted in any of the many Ps forums across the net. But he carved out a niche for himself and he became very popular and people sought him out just so he could troll them!

So many times here on the forum I have seen free requests that were perfect for trolling! Those that are perfectly worded for literal translation. What if we had a thread that was separate from the actual request thread that we could use if the urge to create a troll post overwhelms us? It would not be in the actual request thread so hopefully the members asking for the free requests would not be offended.

Example: This was of course a legitimate request, but it was ripe for interpretation.

GlassesOnFace_01.jpg

Like so many of our edit requests, it takes some skill to complete and execute a troll edit. It also take some creativity to come up with possible trolling ideas.

I just think it would be interesting to see just how demented some of us really are without directly insulting members in their own request threads!

Just an idea...............thoughts? I do fear that the troll editing could be more popular than the actual requests. I don't want to stop the great work we offer those who come here seeking legit editing. I just want to see something fun!

Rich54

Guru
I definitely like the idea... I’m in. I was not aware of James Fridman, but he is very funny. (I suggest people also look up “Kirby Jenner”, who claims he is the twin brother of Kendall Jenner and has a ton of fantastic Photoshop manipulations where he inserts himself into her photos. That’s him on the left.)

1595435408625.png

However... my concern is that requestors may be offended. For example, there is an active thread right now in the Paid Forum with a photo of a wedding, where the requestor asks if we could make the photo “look like they’re kissing”. But it doesn’t specify exactly who “they” are, so hypothetically we could have the bride kissing the Best Man. I think that’s funny, but maybe the bride & groom do not appreciate their special day being trashed.

Would it be possible to have some sort of opt-out button? Whenever somebody posts a free request, perhaps there could be an automatic pop-up window explaining the “Troll Forum” and giving requestors the power to opt in or opt out. Or something like that.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes! I've seen Kirby, very funny! He's very successful with his comps because he works hard at re-creating the conditions of the original photos when he photographs himself.

However... my concern is that requestors may be offended.
Yes, this was my concern as well and I was admittedly worried about this even as I wrote the original post. I can see where having fun at another's expense could definitely cause some hurt feelings. I would hope that all troll edits would be done in good taste and heavy consideration would go into the reasons the edit was requested. We would of course need to steer clear of any requests of a personal or emotional content. The wedding photo is what I might refer to as a personal type request. There's such a fine line here..........some boundaries would need to be established.

Would it be possible to have some sort of opt-out button? Whenever somebody posts a free request, perhaps there could be an automatic pop-up window explaining the “Troll Forum” and giving requestors the power to opt in or opt out. Or something like that.
Possibly. I will check into that. I really wasn't thinking of a sub-forum devoted to trolling, more of just a on-going thread. If we were to see more requests to be trolled like Fridman does, we might consider a dedicated forum.

psleon

Something like this you mean?

Request:
my wife took pictures with fingers on right side and top corner
thanks in advance for helping me out

Filled request: added fingers on left, bottom and upper side aswell (note: bad shop, but its an example ;)

fingers.jpg

polarwoc

Guru
Hi guys, I think this idea is definitely worth a trial and would usher in lots of creativity and humour. Maybe the OP could have the option of seeking the Admin to remove some of the Troll Edits. Only the OP, who is at the receiving end of the joke can decide if the humour is in good taste or not.

Argos

Guru
I like the idea, but as rich54 said, better with the knowledge or consent of the op in my opinion.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK..............let me see what we can do. I'll let you guys know.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
After doing some checking, it's not feasible to offer a way to ask for "permission", "consent", or to "opt-out".

Please remember, the suggestion here is that the troll edits would not appear in the request thread created by the original OP. The troll post/edit will only appear in a completely separate thread. The OP will get the edit he/she requested in the original thread without being trolled.

If the member who becomes trolled see's a post in the "Troll Thread" and becomes offended, it can easily be removed even though it's not required under any forum policy to do so since they are not trolled in their original request.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Argos

Guru
seems reasonable to me, the admins put the rules on the forum so if the person wants a free edit it has to agree to the possibility to also get a troll edit in another post, and if for any reason we did not think about it or the forum gets a lot less free request it can always be removed.. just my opinion ^^

Rich54

Guru
After doing some checking, it's not feasible to offer a way to ask for "permission", "consent", or to "opt-out".

Please remember, the suggestion here is that the troll edits would not appear in the request thread created by the original OP. The troll post/edit will only appear in a completely separate thread. The OP will get the edit he/she requested in the original thread without being trolled.

If the member who becomes trolled see's a post in the "Troll Thread" and becomes offended, it can easily be removed even though it's not required under any forum policy to do so since they are not trolled in their original request.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I think that could work. We could try it for a while and then potentially abandon the idea if it gets out of hand.

polarwoc

Guru
Like @Argos suggested, maybe declare it in the rules for free requests section that there is a possibility that requests maybe trolled at a different section and any serious offences can be reported. Certain cultural differences may mean what one sees as fun and humour could be a serious offence for another. So, anyone posting a request knows their post could be trolled. Some of the troll edits I have seen are due to miscommunication in English, which could put non native speakers of English open to trolling. English is not my first language, but I would see it as an opportunity to learn if someone trolls me. Hoping others do the same.

Maybe "Trolls" could be a section of Main Forums. Rules for trolling can evolve as we go and recognise what is right.

Also, maybe a Free Request poster could explicitly say "No Trolling"? Example is someone posting a Photo Restoration request of her late grand father (of course, I am sure nobody would troll sensitive posts like that but rules would set a harmonious framework).

Shadowwolf77

I think this sounds like a great idea. Assuming forum members act with digression so as not to post offensive or sensitive content, this should be a great way to inspire humor and creativity. Like Argos said, an admin could specify the possibility of a troll edit on a request within the rules and if a forum member is offended by the troll edit, it could easily be taken down.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This matter has resurfaced once again.

Some of the troll edits I have seen are due to miscommunication in English, which could put non native speakers of English open to trolling. English is not my first language, but I would see it as an opportunity to learn if someone trolls me. Hoping others do the same.
I understand. You have to remember that all troll edits are based on miscommunication or lack of detail in a description. The idea is to specifically target these mishaps if and when they occur. It's what makes them so funny. I realize that many of these mishaps will originate from non-native English speaking users. Hopefully they themselves would see the humor as well as a learning opportunity as you do. I don't speak Spanish well. I get made fun of all the time by my Spanish speaking friends and acquaintances! Like you, I laugh and am not offended. I learn form the experience and move on. But I have an engorged sense of humor and can easily laugh at myself....................which I do often!

Before we create a sub-forum, I think it best that we try a sticky thread to see how it goes. I will create a thread with guidelines.