What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble with resizing logo's / making smaller without loss of quality

Sia

I have made a poster (size A3, DPI 300). Now I have a request to add logos at the bottom of the poster. On a new layer I paste a logo (also 300 dpi). As soon as I resize them into a smaller size I get jagged edges. I tried different things like pasting as a smart object. I have different kinds of logo's, mostly png. Any suggestions?
I am a bit surprised as I have done this many times before. I can't seem to work out what I am doing differently this time.

Attachments

• Funding_logostrip_3.psd
    350 KB · Views: 5
I am happy with the logos, all as smart objects. But all these logos will be a small part of the poster. So I still have to downsize them with loss of quality. The size of the canvas for the logos is 18 cm by 5 cm. I am adding the attachment in the right size. I hope someone can help me to have razor :bowdown:sharp logos.

Attachments

• logo_Sia.psd
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Hello @Sia
Your issue is that for the resolution of 300 ppi and the size of the logos you are at the limit of what can be represented.
The only way I know how to improve the sharpness of the edge is to improve the resolution that you are using. This only helps if the process used to print the poster also supports that higher resolution. If not, the logos have to be increased in size.

Note that the dimensions of a single version of the logo shown in your PSD are only 200 px x 60 px or 0.67 in x .20 inches high. It will be impossible for it to have razor sharp edges at the ppi

I will show you three images below comparing the quality of a single Logo. The upper logo will be held constant in quality and the lower logo will be increased in resolution.

Here is the starting point at 300 dpi.

300 ppi
Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 4.07.47 PM.jpg

600 ppi
Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 4.10.03 PM.jpg

1200 dpi
Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 4.10.49 PM.jpg

So I suggest determining the maximum resolution of the printer, increasing your resolution to that amount, and then increasing the size of the logos until you have satisfaocry clarity.
Just my suggestions of course.

John Wheeler

Dear John, thank you for your explanation! It has really helped me understand what the issue is and what I can do about it (and what not).

Back