What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

True to life wall hanging

gravy_baby

How to place a wall hanging into room image and have the dimensions be true to life?

This isn't a request for someone to do this for me, I would love some advice on how to achieve this myself as I am stumped.

If I have an image of an empty art gallery in a photoshop document and I need to place images of artwork onto the walls of this empty gallery to create a mockup of the space with art on the walls - how would I achieve that and have the dimensions of the artwork look true to life as in not too small or too big but the exact size? I would imagine I would need some sort of indicator on the walls of the gallery like a person holding up a measuring tape to a certain height such as 2 metres and then I would need to know the exact measurements of the artwork to be placed on the wall? What do you think?

Rich54

Guru
You need to know an approximate dimension of the room, such as the ceiling height, as well as the dimensions of the artwork you want to add. Once you know those, download an image of a ruler (like below) and adjust the scale of this ruler to conform to the dimensions of the room.

Let's say you know that the ceiling height of the gallery is 4 meters and the height of the artwork is 1.5 meters. Rotate this ruler image to be vertical and adjust its size so that the measure from 0 to 40 centimeters exactly matches the floor-to-ceiling height of the room. Once the ruler is properly sized, you know that 40cm equals 4 meters. Then you can size your artwork against this ruler to whatever it correct dimension should be—in this case 15cm.

1660166331199.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's an interesting video on using Ps to set a custom scale to measure known values. Could be helpful!

Here's another good vid on measuring for interior design....

Rich54

Guru
After 15 years of studying Photoshop, I never noticed that there is a ruler tool embedded within the eyedropper family of tools !

I don't have the Extended version of PS, so I have no "analysis" capability, like in the first video. But this little ruler tool will actually be useful to me because I have been intensively studying figure drawing (with pencil & paper) and I use a lot of online images as my source material. The ruler will be useful to assess proportions.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In later versions of Ps, Analysis was located in IMAGE > ANALYSIS.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 10.29.08 PM.png

because I have been intensively studying figure drawing (with pencil & paper)
Interesting! I of course started off drawing and painting before going digital. All my figure studies were back in school!

Anything you could post? (Edit....in another thread of course!)

gravy_baby

You need to know an approximate dimension of the room, such as the ceiling height, as well as the dimensions of the artwork you want to add. Once you know those, download an image of a ruler (like below) and adjust the scale of this ruler to conform to the dimensions of the room.

Let's say you know that the ceiling height of the gallery is 4 meters and the height of the artwork is 1.5 meters. Rotate this ruler image to be vertical and adjust its size so that the measure from 0 to 40 centimeters exactly matches the floor-to-ceiling height of the room. Once the ruler is properly sized, you know that 40cm equals 4 meters. Then you can size your artwork against this ruler to whatever it correct dimension should be—in this case 15cm.

View attachment 131883
Thanks so much for the help!