What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trying to create image of face extruding through a chain link fence- Help

Cjay

I am trying to create a image in Photoshop and hope someone could give me some pointers. I'm trying to make a face extruding through a chain link fence. I tried using displacement map but either I'm using it wrong or it is the wrong tool for the job. Any ideas?Thanks

ibclare

Queen Bee
I have some ideas, (not that I can see into your mind's eye) though there might be a lot of tweaking involved. But since there are multiple ways to achieve the same effects in PS, I'll risk it!

Place the face below the chain link and keep that layer selected. Ctl/cmd click on the chain link thumbnail, add a layer mask to the face and invert it. Add a slight spherize effect to the face, positive 5 -10. Apply the layer mask and add layer effects.

Try an inner shadow and change the shadow color to a dark tone on the face. Play with all the settings to get a feeling of extrusion. Change the blend mode and opacity if necessary. EG: linear burn or hard light and lower opacity.

Now duplicate the chain link and turn off the lower layer of link. Keeping the duplicated link layer active, cmd click the face selection and add a layer mask to the link. Now add the same spherize to this. You should be able to just use cmd+F.

Try a drop shadow, turn off global light and make this shadow the same way colorwise as above. You'll have to play with colors, settings, directionality, depth, etc.

Then move the other chain link layer below the face layer in order to continue the links but without the layer fx.

There may be an advantage to using other layer fx like bevel and emboss. I didn't try it.

Well, there's a crude method for you to try. I think if you play with it enough, it could be fairly cool, if not really what some might call "elegant!"

ibclare

Queen Bee
If you do try using bevel and emboss, really experiment. Sometimes, changing the opacities and/or modes of the highlight and shadow colors and/or changing those colors to closer shades can give an interesting effect.

Or you might scrap the whole technique :mrgreen:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do one Clare..............I wanna see!

ibclare

Queen Bee
I did do one and changed some of the directions when I played with bevel and emboss. I would like to see the size of the links the OP wants. In fact it would be good to see both images. I already tossed what I was doing with a screen shot of some of the layer fx settings. But I can try another. The face I used was poor quality. Anyway, it's time for bed. So I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

SCTRWD

Power User
You can use Liquify tool.

Or even better use 3d tools. Download human head model, open it in PS, drop chain link pattern on the Diffuse texture:

ChainLink.png

Find the POV which matches your photo, change the head proportions as needed.
As a final touch convert 3d head layer to smart object and use transform warp to change the relative facial proportions and sizes. The last but not least: change the Opacity texture for head layer to leave only chain link visible.

Cjay

Thanks very much for everyone's help with this. I have been trying to post a picture (not done by me and I'm not sure who the artist is who completed this job), but I am having some issues here with this feature. See what I can do about that later. Thanks again everyone & if anyone still has some ideas please send them along.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Well, I doubt you still want to see this and it's likely that 3D tools are the best bet, but here is my effort using layer effects and the spherize filter. I wasn't happy with the edge result so I brushes on additional shadowing, and they're still a bit more square than I'd like. But I still thought I'd share the result anyway.

chain_link.jpg

SITM

Face.jpg

SITM

Thanks for uploading the image. Yes according to that I am doing things correctly. It brings me to a option to either upload a link or insert image from my computer. I browse and select image, then click on upload image and it does nothing. If I choose advanced method I add image by browsing and it never uploads. The only way I got close was to open the image which in on my desktop as a online option select and copy it then paste it into the reply to thread option. It doesn't load either in the end as it then tells me I must have 5 posts to be allowed to post links. I made a few various posts bringing it up to 5 and tried again but it posts a link to my desktop.....cant seem to get this to work, but obviously others are somehow using this feature.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
When you click Upload Image after selection, it may take a while to load most especially if its a large image.

Sometimes, there's a glitch that occurs in the system that causes upload problems. Try again in a while.

SITM

Sometime like now it wont even let me select a file from my computer. It will only allow links since the browse tool is missing. I could send you some pictures if you have another email.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Beautiful SITM. Where is that "sculpture?"

If this is the effect wanted, then post 6 by SCTRWD has the closest idea so far. It would take some experimentation to get this in PS (I would think) since this is a real life 3D creation. I'd love to see the results and info on how it was done - of course.

SITM

This picture comes from Calgary Alberta, but apparently it was done in photoshop. It was passed on to me from another party who claimed that the original creator of the photo made the face in Photoshop.
Ive been to the location while visiting once and don't recall any such structure so unless it is new I'm not sure either way. I have tried to create the effect after seeing this but it is pretty hard and just wouldn't have that skill set yet.

ibclare

Queen Bee
As he said Sam, though you couldn't have known since I just approved his post from hours ago! Post 18 above yours.

Sorry guys.

Its a great piece. Hey, has anybody seen Cjay, our OP? I know he said thanks, but I'm just wondering if this is the effect he meant.