What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning skin to metal

Alistair

Guru
I heard (saw) a while ago on this board a technique in which you use curves and something else to make skin look like metal, and it was a very good way to do it and the results turned out great. Does anyone have any idea of what i'm talking about? Or does anyone have/know of a a technique like that? - Alistair

I'm not familar with the tutorial.

However, it seems you could desaturate the skin then use curves to get a metallic effect. Maybe a little unsharp mask to make the highlights and shadows sharper.

This would be a cool challenge.

Ya actually i posted that ions ago. Don't recall if it was my board or another one though. [oops]

I think the general procedure was something like... dupe the original layer; PS6 users: apply the Noise/Median filter set to 2, PS7 users: apply the Stylize/Diffuse/Anisotropic filter; desaturate it using the "monochrome" setting in the "Channel Mixer" filter; then apply Curves (an adjustment layer) to that to produce a liquid metal or roughened chrome effect.

Also... add a Levels adjustment layer in between the Curves and desaturated copy layers. Play with the black INPUT and white OUTPUT levels to "dial in" a specific look you like.

Then mask out any parts of the face/body you don't want 'chromed'.

Oh ya... and in this example, albeit a tad sloppy... i added a gBlurred black outline around the head to put some depth back in it.

Experiment. [slick]

Mark very nice. I didn`t find one on this bord ?;\ ?

Here's another example... this one has the above steps mentioned, plus, a duplicate of the desaturated layer that's had the "Artistic/Plastic Wrap" filter run on it. And the layer set to Pin Light.

This just adds a few more specular highlights to the mix -- i.e. adds a bit'o'gloss.

My pleasure Mark ;)

It was easy, I bookmarked it for how to smooth the skin on photo.

If anyone is interested, an Adjustment Layer can be created by clicking the round Ying-Yang like symbol at the bottom of the Layers Palette. You can also Group an Adjustment Layer with the layer your working on by holding down the Alt key while clicking the Ying-Yang button.

I just mention this because I spent quite a while trying to figure out what everyone was talking about when they said "Adjustment Layers" - now that I know what they are and how to use them I just wanted to add this info here for anyone who didn't know.

Thanks, Mark. I also want to add a couple more things ....

When you hold down the Alt key and click the "Create adjustment layer" button a dialogue box will pop up. If you want to group the adjustment layer to the layer you're working on, just check the box that says "Group With Previous Layer". This is known as a "clipping group" ( I think it is anyway).

If anyone is interested I learned all about this and other great Photoshop insights in The Photoshop 7 Wow Book, by Jack Davis (if you want to get a copy I suggest you go to eBay, since it is way too expensive in the book stores).

OR... you can just come here and check the "Tips'n'Techniques" board! :D :perfect:

OR... you can just ask someone here on ANY board! :D :perfect:

:B

Ok, i got exactly what I wanted. It might not look like metal, but i used what mark said, and it made the image look really nice. O,k, go to this thread.. look at the first pic on the first page, then look at page 3, at the post i made today. Thats what I really wanted to do, and it turned out pretty good.

ummm alistair, i would love to view your results, but cannot find the "go to this thread" - which thread? I hope its not just me being doughy [confused]

Alistair: O,k, go to this thread.. look at the first pic on the first page, then look at page 3, at the post i made today
[confused] Did you forget to post a link my friend?

Anyway... cool technique Mark :perfect: and good info on this subject from Lily & Doug! :}

Alistair: Ok, i got exactly what I wanted. It might not look like metal, but i used what mark said, and it made the image look really nice. O,k, go to this thread.. look at the first pic on the first page, then look at page 3, at the post i made today. Thats what I really wanted to do, and it turned out pretty good.

Yep, it's looking pretty good Alistair! :perfect:

[saywhat] You started that in June????? But hey, you've come a looooooooong way baby! ;)

:D Carry on then... [confused] Was there a question I missed?

wbiss said:
Alistair: Ok, i got exactly what I wanted. It might not look like metal, but i used what mark said, and it made the image look really nice. O,k, go to this thread.. look at the first pic on the first page, then look at page 3, at the post i made today. Thats what I really wanted to do, and it turned out pretty good.

Yep, it's looking pretty good Alistair! :perfect:

[saywhat] You started that in June????? But hey, you've come a looooooooong way baby! ;)

:D Carry on then... [confused] Was there a question I missed?
:D Ya june, I've been procastinaying for a loooooooong time :D

...better late than never, Alistair!

Good for you for getting back on track... :perfect:

vBulletin Message
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

thanks, PST. :perfect:

Erik

The only one Forum at PST is locked for members only. I do apologize for posting that link. ;\

Yeah, I found it strange that the link over at PST was locked to members... [confused]

[shhh] I just went to the front page of the forum and did a search! Found the technique "presto" ;)

Back