What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tv Scanl Line without pattern

ApWizard

Ok, let's go scan lining an image:

--> open your image;
--> convert it in LAB color mode (image --> mode --> lab color)
--> go in the channel pallette and select Lightness channel;
--> resize your image (image --> image size) if you have the resolution at 72 pixel/inch change it to 144 pixel/inch (if you have 100 make it 200);
--> add scan line (filter --> sketch --> half tone pattern) use this setting:
pattern type --> line
size --> 1
contrast --> 5

--> rescale your image with the same method i written before (144 --> 72 - 200 --> 100);
--> convert your image to RGB mode (or in mode that you have before converting to lab);

i hope that can help you!;)

P

phi

Ah, I found a better way. Scanlines in.. 2 steps? Yeah :p

1> New layer and fill half in with black (w/ marquee tool)
2> filter>distort>wave.

Set Generators to 999, Wavelength to min:1, max:1, Amptitude to: min: 999, max: 999, both scales at 100%, repeat edge pixels, type: sine

You should get some 1 pixel scanlines horizontally. If you want vertical ones, hit ctrl+F after.. :)

Don't understand and need a picture? http://www.philoader.net/v/tut_interlace.html .. but i think it is pretty self explanitory :p

Tron

Guru
There are many ways to do scan lines, Mark has a good tute on it as well as many others, what I don't understand is why would you want to. I personally don't find a lot of use with the exception of backgrounds for web pages. [confused]

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I'm not teaching anyone to be lazy. Took me days to hunt it among my library of disks, coz I happen to have a filter for this occasion. (Talk about late deliveries). Chow!

I'm hungry.

vee

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Here's my version.......

1 Open target image.

2 Make a new document 400 wide by 2 pixels high with squared transparent bottom. Depending how "wide" your photo is, I always like to make it a little wider so the lines clear the edges.

3 double click the line tool to bring up the Line Options tab. For weight, use 1 pixel and Anti-Aliased ON, Opacity 100%. Draw a horizontal line in the top half of the canvass, From left to right. (Zoom in if you have to). Select>all, go to Edit>Define Pattern. Close the window.

4 Open target image. Make a new layer. Go to Layer>New>Layer, Ok now Edit>Fill>Use >Pattern. Ok now she's scanned. But to get a better effect and to bring out the image more, choose "Overlay" from the pop down menu in the layers tab.

It's a long cut but works for me.

Phi, yer a genius.

vee

theKeeper

Guru
Wow guys this is some great new info for everyone. Thanks for starting the thread AW!

Lotsa cool methods... i say... try 'em all!
Can't hurt ya having more knowledge than you can use -- it's not like eating too much pasta! hahaa :rofl:

And thanks for that 'grid' filter too DV8. I saw one like that years ago but never bothered with it... and now i don't ever see it around anymore. Doesn't hurt to have that in your 'grab-bag'.

Using the Wave filter... very cool. Even i hadn't thought to max out the settings to THAT degree. That's what i like to see! Experimentation! :perfect:

PS: phi...
Nice tute you linked to, thanks. Shouldn't it be mentioned though that if wanting vertical lines, the layer/canvas should be "rotated 90 degrees" first? Before reApplying the filter...?
Just wanna clarify that.

Rich

Guys, I hate to ask a silly question, but where do I put that Grid filter or any other filter for that matter? I put it in the filters directory but it didn't seem to take. But then again I'm not really sure where to look for it even it did show up. Will it be in there along with the other filters? I looked there and didn't see it.

Thanks
Rich

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Place in the PLUGINS FOLDER of Photoshop program folder. If you have PS6, select For Photoshop only folder.

PROGRAM FILES>ADOBE>PHOTOSHOP>PLUGINS FOLDER>(VERSION 5&6) FOR PHOTOSHOP ONLY

Wait a minute...... you said filters directory? check the Filters in the menu. I've never tried it in the default filter folders before. It might show. If not, follow above.

vee

theKeeper

Guru
Well to make it simple, just copy any custom or 3rd party filters directly into the "Plug-Ins" folder. No fuss no muss. They'll all work from there.

And it should be noted now that the "Grid.8bs" filter will by default show up under the "Selection" menu -- not the plugin menu. Hence the .8bs and not .8bf Must say it works like a charm. Thanks dv8!

If you want however, you CAN create a specifically named folder of your choice for your 3rd party filters, and put that folder directly into the "Plug-Ins" folder. Photoshop should still recognize and list it. If not, then just drop the filters openly into the "Plug-Ins" folder itself.

And this applies to any version of PS 5 & up.

Either way, it's all good. ;)

Don't put them into the "Filters" folder though.
You'll be mixing up 3rd party or 'Filter Factory' filters with Photoshop's default filter sets. Keep all of your own custom filters separate from any of the programs default ones. You'll thank yourself for that down the road.

Rich

Thanks! When I get home today I'll give it a whirl. No PS here at work:(

Thanks again

Rich