What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific UAP Silhouette!

Attached I have a raw photo, and also a zoomed in version of what I would like to be turned into a Silhouette. Preferably front facing, as if you were looking at it straight ahead. Some slight depth to it would be cool if possible as if it's tipped over a bit, but a basic Silhouette is mostly what I'm going for. That being said I'll be using this as a template for guitar inlays that I'll be getting with my upcoming custom guitar build! Thanks everyone!

photo-2-1-1-1607461060.jpg

photo-2-1.jpg

Rich54

Guru
It's very hard to see details of the actual shape. Something like this?
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but guitar inlays are cut from a piece of mother-of-pearl, so I'm not sure how you would ever achieve any "depth" on the actual guitar.

UFO Guitar Inlay.jpg

Hey, yeah! Definitely something like that! So I noticed if you pay attention the ridges on the right side you can almost count the amount to spikes on the side, which I've counted as 4 before it reached the bottom tip. It also seems to have a very slight roundedness to it, almost like a crest/shield. It also looks like after that 4th spike, it curves into the peak, keeping up the trend.

You're not wrong about the depth part. It would be tricky in order to do, but very possible. Not all inlays are mother of pearl, quite a few different materials you can use, and you could take 2 different materials and have 1 as the foreground color, and another as the BG color. It was more of a shot in the dark request.

Rich54

Guru
How about this? I tried to model it around a circle to give it the roundness effect, as in the second image.

UFO Guitar Inlay.jpg

UFO Guitar Inlay 2.jpg

I think more of a U or V shape, it seems to be it's like in between the 2 letters if that makes any sense, but with the top tips being slightly further out than a normal U, and thank you for being awesome.

Rich54

Guru
Can you draw a freehand sketch of how you think it should look, and then post it here? Then I can trace what you send, clean it up, smooth the curves, make it symmetrical, etc.

186466765_1467673706909185_240485823488834910_n.jpg
Alrighty, something alone these lines... ignore the outer "U" and even so.... i'd say the mid section of what i sketched here needs to be maybe slightly wider in terms of reference of the photo, wouldn't you agree? I also applied the top line for the reference of depth i was referring to.

186466765_1467673706909185_240485823488834910_n.jpg

Yeah it's almost a bit too sharp, but fairly close to what I'm looking for. Just needs more of a "rounder" bottom edge that I couldn't quite pull off

Rich54

Guru
Not completely sure what you mean about the tip. How is this?

Not sure if you have a printer, but maybe you can print this and then draw over it for any further adjustments.

UFO Guitar Inlay.jpg

Rich54

Guru
I think we may be getting our messages crossed. Do you want me to trace the one you just posted in Post #12? That does not have the 3D thickness effect. Do you still want that?

Rich54

Guru
Ok, here it is.

Ten years ago I went to the Martin Guitar factory in Pennsylvania and took a class on how to hand-carve inlays and set them into the fretboard. It was much harder than I imagined. I think any 3D thickness effect on this would be very hard to do.

UFO Guitar Inlay.jpg

Dude. I'd say that's it. Thank you so much. That sounds like a really cool experience by the way, but I'll have to inform you, there are some absolute fucking monsters out there. IMG_6105-300x209.jpgDaemoness-inlays.jpginlays-1-1024x576.jpg