What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Layer Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

What the Heck

Here is the main image. Can you see this? Please let me know, yes or no.
red casein td better.jpg
Here is the Shamrock I want to apply to the red image.

RS 300 Shamrock MOP trans 2020-06-13 at 2.17.37 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No problem, just place the shamrock layer over the pick layer, unless it does not have a transparent BG, then you need to mask out the shamrock.

What the Heck

Here's what I get. And yet the image of the shamrock by itself shows that the background is transparent. What am I doing wrong here?

red w shamrock Trans red teardrop NEW! red TD transparent.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What am I doing wrong here?
The background of the shamrock is not transparent. You need to mask it with a layer mask as stated in post #3.

Ps - Your shamrock image looks like a screen shot.

What the Heck

Appreciate the graphic. Still trying to figure it out.

However, HUGELY important: You changed the shape of the original red image. This is a total deal-breaker. That shape has been around for 100 years. It is an industry standard, known worldwide. It is called a Fender 351 shape. It cannot be tinkered with, even one millimeter.

WTH

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You changed the shape of the original red image.
Yes I did. Your pick image is far too small! So I made a much larger version using a different pick template. It's not a big deal as I'm only using it to demonstrate.

What the Heck

Yes I did. Your pick image is far too small! So I made a much larger version using a different pick template. It's not a big deal as I'm only using it to demonstrate.
No biggie. Is there a way for me to enlarge the original red one I posted -- or will resolution get destroyed?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Is there a way for me to enlarge the original red one I posted -- or will resolution get destroyed?
Unfortunately there is not much you can do that would not compromise the quality. If you had the original photographs that were taken of the picks, we might have a better option.

What the Heck

We're in luck. Here's a similar image from the original shoot. This one should work much better. Sorry, I don't know how to make images smaller without reducing the pixels.

RS Red Casein TD -- 1900.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes! Now we're talking!!! LOL!!!

I can see fingerprints!

Now all you need to do is make selection of the pick. You will then use a layer mask to mask out the background. As for me personally, I would use the Pen Tool for this job.

What the Heck

Hah! Hey, so listen, I've gotta hit the hay, but perhaps we can talk tomorrow about how to use this image. In a similar situation, I had to spend many hours remove the brown background. Perhaps I can learn how to do that tomorrow evening.

What the Heck

Okay, thanks so much. Argh, yes I see the fingerprints too. I feel like I've entered an episode of Criminal Minds. I usually wipe these down a micro-fiber cloth, but my friend who took these shots must have gotten careless.

Thanks again, Sam. G'Night.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Open image in Ps.
Duplicate using Cmd/Cntrl + J.
Turn off original pick/image layer.
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 8.39.29 AM.png

Create a new background layer below the duplicate pick layer and fill with the desired color.

Use whatever method you are comfortable with to make a selection of the pick. I used the Pen Tool.
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 8.39.49 AM.png

On the pick layer, with the selection active, create a layer mask using the "add layer mask" icon located at the bottom of the layers panel.
Cmd/Cntrl + D to deselect.
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 8.40.10 AM.png

Create a new layer above the pick layer.
Select your Spot healing brush Tool.
Clean up the blemishes on the pick.
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 8.40.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 8.32.32 AM.png

Note: I have added back the drop shadow with a DS layer style. on the pick layer.

Now we have many possibilities in where to go from here. But this is a perfect starting point!

What the Heck

Sam, would you have time to walk me through this tonight around 9:00 PST? Slammed till then.

Thank You,
WTH

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sam, would you have time to walk me through this tonight around 9:00 PST?
Possibly, unless something on my end pops up. Not much to walk through, it's fairly self explanatory. I will help in any way I can though.

What the Heck

Hello, Everybody, and happiest of Fourth of July's to all of you.

With the holiday, I finally have some time to go back and work on this project, so I've bumped it up to renew the discussion.

Sam I Am has been very helpful to me through this whole process, and this forum as a whole has been amazingly supportive. Thank you so much. I am a total PS newb, but I'm very motivated to learn some of the elemental processes myself. Most of what I want to do is pretty basic.

I want to take this Shamrock and lay it on top of the guitar pick.

Thanks,
WTH

polarwoc

Guru
You have all the instructions to take a plunge on this thread and on one of your earlier threads. Please attempt and get back whenever you encounter a stumbling block.

What the Heck

You have all the instructions to take a plunge on this thread and on one of your earlier threads. Please attempt and get back whenever you encounter a stumbling block.

Polar, understood, but here's my challenge. I'm an English prof and thus a lifelong textual learner. Almost the instructions I receive are in images and flow-charts. I literally cannot understand these things. It's like Egyptian to me.

I understand if I'm beating a dead horse, but I cannot comprehend the flow without language and written text. I have also viewed numerous YT vids and get stuck at the same place.

May I post one of those vids and then give you the time split where I get stuck?

Thanks for your post.

WTH

Status
Not open for further replies.